Archinect
anchor

US BArch Program Problem

Max_2307

Hey, I'm a first-year international student at a "top 5" US architecture school. Honestly, it's not as challenging and intellectually engaging as I expected and some of my friends in the honors program also felt the same (especially those who came from competitive high schools like mine). Most students here seem disengaged, more into complaining and studio gossip than actual work. Critiques from professors usually meet defensiveness for no exact reason, or just blind agreement for the grades, not genuine engagement.

The party culture is another thing. It’s intense and, as an introvert, not really my scene—it messes with my sleep on weekends. Although the profs and TAs are great, I'm questioning the value of spending so much on a 5-year BArch, potentially followed by a master's.

I've got a scholarship offer from the University of Sydney that could save me a lot, and I'm considering transferring. It might not change the social setting much, but it's more economical, and I could complete both bachelor's and master's in a total of 5 years instead of 7.5 years.

Thoughts on transferring or the US BArch programs in general? Or what can I do for the rest of the school year to get the most out of university? Right now, I'm feeling a bit trapped and not exactly having the time of my life.

Nov 6, 23 11:20 am
BulgarBlogger

do not understimate social skills... your success as any kind of professional in life will depend on how well you navigate relationships, personal, romantic, and professional. You also have to learn how to enjoy yourself. 

Nov 6, 23 1:59 pm  · 
2  · 
monosierra

Word ... except for the most brilliant of minds, success for the majority is in equal part people and technical skills. A genius programmer may get away with being a weirdo, but for a profession like architecture, communicating effectively - to clients, between disciplines, managing teams internal and external - can make or break a career.
Back to school though - does OP want to practice in Australia or the US. While one's choice of school location doesn't always lock one into the same country after graduation, the very first job tends to be in the same country as the school - if only for licensing/accreditation reasons.

Nov 6, 23 2:02 pm  · 
1  · 
Max_2307

Yes I do understand the importance of that, I do enjoy going to office hours with professors or TAs, but I can't really force myself into parties and drinking and what most of my classmates consider as fun. I do make friends with people who are also not into parties, but most of the relationships just stops at a superficial level because of cultural barrier. For example I just don't watch like an American show or know the gossip of an American celebrity. I guess for the most part it's just the problem of me being a bicultural student but not too much for me to make real friends, and that I don't match the school's vibe. Thank you very much for the reply!

Nov 6, 23 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I'm not much of a socializing-by-party student either back in school ... you'll find that life after graduation is a totally different animal. Make friends, get to know faculty, broaden your professional network even as a student. Most folks grow out of their party stage after graduation anyway.

Nov 7, 23 7:56 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, don't ignore the social aspects. I still talk to a lot of my classmates, and we've shared advice and good times over the years - plus, you never know who will "sell out" and go owner's side, and hire you. Even though architecture has us siloed a lot, make sure to find friends outside the school too.

Nov 7, 23 9:05 am  · 
1  · 

Hush chomo.

Nov 7, 23 11:42 am  · 
 · 

Chad, you’ve used that several times now and it’s a bit messed up doing so, even if BB is a butthead.

Nov 7, 23 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

I was replying to Jawk. His comment has been removed. For Jawk the term is fitting.  If the mods want to delete my comment I'm fine with it since they've removed Jawk's.  

Nov 7, 23 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Josh - Dont you know by now that Chad is the forum hall monitor and feels the need to put his 2 cents in on every single post made.

Nov 7, 23 1:56 pm  · 
1  · 

Still Chad, no matter whom, it’s still messed up. There’s at least somewhat a modicum of professionalism on here, however small that may be.

Nov 7, 23 2:00 pm  · 
2  · 

Almost and Josh - call it what you will but when there is podophile on the site who likes to try and 'pick up' female users I'm going to call him out on it.

Nov 7, 23 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: