Archinect
anchor

M.Arch. I Porfolio Review Request

Zorbon the Builder

Hi all. I am applying for an M. Arch. 1 this application cycle. I'm hoping to start Fall 2024. I would greatly appreciate feedback on my portfolio. I removed the name to remain anonymous.

Do note that I have no design background whatsoever. I was a STEM major in college and work in IT. Thanks.

https://issuu.com/krarch/docs/...

Nov 2, 23 8:41 pm

So I looked at it briefly and didn’t read that you don’t have design experience, which was surprising to see after the fact.

You’re gonna do just fine with this portfolio. 

Nov 2, 23 9:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Zorbon the Builder

Thanks. I did get some help on the first 2 projects and the Piranesi extension from an architect who gave me ideas of what schools like. He served on an adcom. The work is 100% mine though. He just guided my ideation.

Nov 2, 23 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Nice work! Even without an architectural background your composition skills and design sense come through well. 

My one critique is of the photograph on p. 12. It is a process shot of the cardboard light model. I like the image but I think it can be edited a little (if you have the software knowledge, if not no worries!). Maybe reducing the saturation and making more black and white, not completely though. My eye goes straight to the Target logo and gets caught up in the other other stuff in the scene. I think the pink photos later on work really well since there is kind of an implied messiness of the project/process. But on p. 12, the project seems more stripped down, minimal and clean. 

Nov 3, 23 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
Zorbon the Builder

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah that Target logo always bothered me. Sure acts like targets for the eyes lol. I can just digitally edit it out. I have super basic skills with GIMP.

Nov 3, 23 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

P.S. All the artwork is for sale. DM me if you want to buy. I need to put myself through architecture school somehow ;-)

Nov 3, 23 11:28 am  · 
1  · 

Damn nice work!  I don't think you'll have an issue with this portfolio! 

Nov 3, 23 12:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Zorbon the Builder

Thanks Chad.

Nov 5, 23 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
keepbuilding

Nice work bud! Good luck, assuming you might be applying to more tech-oriented schools?

Nov 11, 23 11:46 am  · 
 · 
srangar

This is a great portfolio! I'm also a mid-career professional in a field very different from architecture but recently started thinking more seriously about a switch. I'm struggling with building a portfolio given I don't come from a creative or technical field. I've started playing around with sketches of things I see around me but wondering how I can really demonstrate intent and showcase things an M.Arch program might want to see. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jan 5, 24 10:26 am  · 
 · 
lacalr

You could possibly sign up/apply for a summer architecture program through a local school? This may help build your portfolio a little.

Jan 5, 24 10:39 am  · 
 · 
srangar

Yes that was my first thought as well but looks like those are limited to middle/high school students. I'm...slightly out of that age range lol

Jan 5, 24 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Zorbon the Builder

Not so. Many school have one for post-college grads. Depends on your area though. Harvard and Columbia have them. You can probably find a cheaper one near you. https://earlydesigneducation.gsd.harvard.edu/harvard-gsd-design-discovery/

Jan 25, 24 11:14 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: