Archinect
anchor

advice for a community college arch major student bound to transfer?

angeltech

Hello, I just recently started my first year in my community college as an architecture major. I chose to go to community college because of the 2+2 transfer plan, and lower-cost tuition, but to also boost my GPA after graduating high school with a not-so-great GPA (a change due to personal reasons). Now, I don't know where to go from here besides starting my basic classes for my first semester, but I want to understand everything before I fully launch this process.

-In terms of what degree to pursue, I'm looking for a path where I could keep my options of getting an M.Arch + becoming a licensed arch available while also exploring other areas slightly outside of Arch. I'm still puzzled about the various Arch degrees. Thus, I was wondering which degree would be the best for that goal.

-I've been aimlessly exploring what school I want to transfer to that would allow my transferred credits (if possible). I'm from PA where there's a variety of NAAB schools here. I want to know what schools would allow transfer opportunities, along with the degree I should be pursuing.

-Next, how should I start building my portfolio, especially when you're just starting to get into Arch? The application process is what I'm going to be the part I'm the most lost at. Of course, the universities I'm looking at in PA have similar portfolio requirements from what I can gather. What makes a strong portfolio and how should I start?

I'm genuinely interested in architecture and I feel like the study is right for me. However, being in community college so far makes me feel unfulfilling in what I truly want to do. I do not know where or how to start. 

-I'm also wondering if there's anything else I should tackle while in community college? If you have any advice on how to make your application or portfolio stand out, that'll also be greatly appreciated. 

Please feel free to educate me on any misinformation or misunderstanding.

Sep 11, 23 11:46 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

Listen. I started with this path, you don't need to do two years, and you're wasting your time if you do. I don't know where you live, but stay away from MArch if you want to be an architect. Find a BArch program. Don't go deeper into debt with that mindset. A BArch is all you need to get licensed. If, a big if, you find that once you got 3rd year and you want more, get a Masters someplace else. It's only a one or two more years, plus there's plenty of programs that will pay for the education of you're good enough.

Now, what should you do while you're preparing for your 1st year, because regardless of your associates, you will start at 1st year, read voraciously, learn to code, learn how to draw, tap into your artistic skills, and if you want learn a little bit about detailing. Get a subscription to Details magazine, check out books on detailing.

Oh, if you really want to be an architect, during your summers, work for a GC, I don't care what it is you're doing, move concrete or brick around for masons and concrete crews.

Sep 12, 23 7:44 am  · 
3  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: