Archinect
anchor

Which college to attend?

daisybird0937

Hi all.  Am confident I will be going to college to get either a B.Arch or a M.Arch.  I have begun looking at schools and the question I have is this... Aside from the Ivies, how much weight is given to where the degree was earned?  At a state school, I would be almost a full ride versus a private school where I could have 20k a year in loans.  

Any thoughts? 

Aug 21, 23 3:05 pm
Non Sequitur

Take the cheapest option.  There is no school name worth getting into debt over for a glorified art degree.

Aug 21, 23 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
daisybird0937

The school is SUNY Alfred, which only had 12-14 graduates of architecture last year. I am not sure about their placement rate and that is a question I will be asking them.

Aug 21, 23 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Is your full ride based on academic merit or financial need?   

If you are low to middle income, a number of schools have adopted a "no loan" policy for families below a certain income level.  These include the very selective and highly ranked BArch programs at Cornell and Rice.

https://www.lendingtree.com/st...

Aug 21, 23 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
daisybird0937

It is both merit and income based.  I'll look into Rice.  Thanks!

Aug 23, 23 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Outside of ivies, not that much of a difference. Some programs are definitely more reputable than others. But if it is accredited, I would not worry too much. If not accredited, don't even bother. Go with the cheapest first, then reputation. The employer cares more about your portfolio. Save the money and go for a post professional March 2 at an ivy if you want to resume shine and fill the ego. I know Columbia offers 1 year 3 semester resume shine program. Cornell has 1 too. And many other big names. 

Aug 23, 23 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: