Archinect
anchor

Considering leaving M.Arch..any advice?

mem20000

I'm considering leaving my M.Arch program to start working instead. For context, I did a 4-year B.Design in Architecture and went directly into an accredited M.Arch program (3 years) after graduation. However, I'm not finding school to be very enriching, it isn't exciting me and I feel like I am not learning as much as I had hoped. So much of my first year was a repeat of what I had just learned in undergrad. I finished my first year of the M.Arch and the second year starts in a few weeks. I realized I don't want to pursue licensure either, which is the main reason I had applied to M.Arch because my undergrad wasn't accredited. Ideally, I want to stay in the design field but don't need to be a licensed architect.

I only have until the end of August to make a decision if I want to get my tuition refunded. I don't have loans, I have been paying out of pocket and feel like the expense isn't worth the investment if I won't be licensed anyway, but maybe an M.Arch would help me with applications later on if I finish? I would have a better portfolio and a professional degree. Any thoughts?

I just wanted to get some general advice, does an M.Arch really make a difference in salary or job opportunities? So many job postings ask for revit and autocad-- two programs that my current grad school doesn't touch. A few listings ask for a professional degree, but most just seem to want an architecture background and technical experience. It feels like I won't gain any useful experience until I actually work in an office. I'm happy to read anyone's experience with this or hear advice from the employment side. I'm located in NYC and have been browsing job postings in that area. 

Aug 7, 23 11:52 am
reallynotmyname

I'm curious about what career path you envision having without a license.  In my experience, lack of a license is going to limit the salary, quality of jobs, and level of responsibility you will ever be offered in the architecture business.

It sucks that your school can't be bothered to have some place for Autocad and Revit in the curriculum.   Consider taking inexpensive CAD and BIM drafting classes at a community college if you have to.  The courses will be decidedly un-artsy, but they will teach you the skills.

Aug 7, 23 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Could be betting on him/herself becoming either a business person (Bringing in new work, wooing clients, presenting ideas) who works with a licensed architect that actually produces the drawings ... or becoming a capital D Designer whose style and taste is so enticing to clients that he or she can effectively work on a high level - sketches, collages, mood boards, renders - while leaving the production work to a licensed professional.

Either one is possible with the right talent - but such talent is rare. I have seen folks who dropped out or never earned licensure but who managed to build successful ventures through their other talents - mostly on the business side. As for talent so powerful to build a client base right out of school - that's a tough one. Having family and friends to supply the first round of commissions to get one going is a big boost.

Aug 7, 23 1:38 pm  · 
2  · 
Jay1122

Is the March school big name that will shine the resume? A big name school will more likely get you the position. Extra school work likely will sharpen your portfolio more with improved graphic skills. 

How much is the tuition each year? 2 year tuition + 2 year work salary opportunity cost is the amount you spend staying in school. 

As far as how important is licensure. I feel it is only slightly worse without license. You can learn and do all the work that a licensed architect can do. You just cannot sign and seal the drawing. Won't be a problem unless you want to open your own arch firm. I feel its more about the pride and validation. You will always be a "designer" rather than an "architect".

Is pause an option? Maybe work for a year or two. Get a real sense of the industry. Not sure the 50-60K starting salary in NYC will make you want to stay in the field. Are you looking for high design positions from famous firms? You are competing with ivy league master degree holding candidates for those positions. NYC is very competitive.

Aug 7, 23 3:00 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

Maybe a pause and then applications to some different grad schools. Puzzling to me that the OP's school stuck a person with an architecture undergrad into a 3 year MArch sequence with no advanced standing.

Aug 7, 23 3:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Jay1122

Many schools do not accept undergrad courses for credit. It is not unusual. They believe you have to take all their courses in order to have a comprehensive learning experience to satisfy the program requirements. Of course, the extra tuition $$ too. If you do BArch undergrad and post professional MArch2, it will be 5 years + 2 years. Both approaches are 7 years total. There are some 3 semester March2 options like GSAPP. Feels like a cash grab to me. 1 year $100K+ resume shine program for a name from Columbia.

Aug 7, 23 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

I know of firms that see licensure as a "commitment to the profession" milestone. Not so much that you are going to use the license in practice but that you are able to study and overcome the tests. Not saying I agree with this but I have heard principles say this to me when I mention how I am on the path to licensure.

I also have friends who do not intend on getting licensed and work for some really great firms, also in NYC actually. Those firms tend to do more of the design work but will then have another architect sign the drawings and do the majority of the cross discipline coordination. These designer firms act as more of a consultant to the prime contract holder. 

I agree with the comments about taking a pause! No need to spend money on a program that you are not 100% committed to. Good luck!

Aug 7, 23 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: