Archinect
anchor

Looking at going back for an architectural degree

kujimakyra

I'm 33 and graduated in 2012 with an associates in graphic design. Trig and calc flew WAY over my head back then. My drawing skills are sub par. However, I have a great design mindset. I've always thought I would truly enjoy being an architect.

I haven't done anything outside of +, - math for YEARS and haven't drawn or used my design skills for at least 8 years.

What can I do to make sure I'll succeed if I go back?

I have some memory issues, so I'm sure I'll fill at least 5 notebooks that I'll use regularly.

I need a career I can be proud of and happy with. I'm done struggling to barely survive. It's time I try to thrive.

Aug 7, 23 12:52 am
bowling_ball

I need a career I can be proud of and happy with. I'm done struggling to barely survive. It's time I try to thrive.

Unfortunately, architecture doesn't automatically open the doors to pride and wealth. Those are ultimately personal goals anyway. While I wouldn't discourage you, I think we'd all recommend that you do a little more homework. Check out the Archinect Salary Poll to start, and keep in mind that people there might even be exaggerating their incomes. 

Aug 7, 23 10:41 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

Adding to that, OP is 33 without any background in architecture. Architecture is definitely not something you can just jump into. OP will be severely disadvantaged against younger candidates who have either a bachelors or masters in architecture AND have the technical knowledge to back it up. Without knowing more, it will 100% be a struggle for OP to to pursue this path.

Aug 7, 23 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: