Archinect
anchor

Sci-Arc recommendation

JosephPinkm

I have the choice of having Anna Neimark, Florencia Diaz-Alonso, Tom Wiscomb, Mira Henry as an instructor for the vertical studio at Sci-Arc.

Who do you recommend as an instructor?  

All of them have the good reputation as architects. Do you know characteristics of each one and how they teach at the school?

Aug 6, 23 1:05 pm
reallynotmyname

Assuming you are a current SciArc student, maybe try emailing these instructors directly with your questions?

As an FYI, someone with a successful architecture practice isn't always going to be an excellent teacher also.

Aug 7, 23 9:42 am  · 
 · 
natematt

"All of them have the good reputation as architects"

Tom Winscombe still works there? I thought he resigned after the recent highly publicized labor exploitation controversy he got himself in....huh... might be worth googling him :) 

Aug 7, 23 1:27 pm  · 
1  · 
haruki

JosephPinkm, the names in your list are some of the boldest most transformative thinkers of their generation. You can't go wrong. Personally I find Anna Neimark's Sovereign Energy Foundations program particularly interesting as it is so far beyond what is normally considered "architecture" but it might be too far out there for some. 

Aug 7, 23 7:21 pm  · 
natematt

Ok, this thread is getting weird. 

Aug 8, 23 11:59 am  · 
 · 
JosephPinkm

What worries me is that all are like interior designers and they are more concerned with color coordination. Didn’t know Wis wasn’t there, that is unfortunate. Saw Sovereign Energy Feminist lady’s work at SciArc and didn’t like it. I wouldn’t call them architectural design.

How are they as people. Are they nice and caring? heard Mira and Tom are always kind and look after Chinese international students well.

Aug 8, 23 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

The international students contribute a hefty chunk of the school's tuition revenue after all ...

Aug 8, 23 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Wait, is Tom an option? or is he no longer at SciArch?

Aug 8, 23 5:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Kriv

Tom didn’t work there any longer unfortunately. Most of them aren’t qualified or doesn’t have any memorable projects to teach at UCLA and stayed on. If you want to have a good cv, study at Berkeley or East Coast schools. Have Dwayne Oyler or Tom Mayne. They are only decent teachers at SciArc.

Aug 8, 23 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
JosephPinkm

There are ancient teachers like Moss, Rotondi, Spina. There is the reason behind they couldn’t teach at top schools. They have an inferiority complex to schools like UCLA.

Aug 8, 23 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: