Archinect
anchor

Applying for a M.Arch with a BA - Canadian Schools

sakura97

Hello!

I am applying for a M.Arch Program without a B.Arch (I presently have a BA) this fall, and I am focussing on Canadian schools.

I have a background in graphic design and making sculptures for context. I have also developed many public art sculptures over the years since my undergrad (it has been 5 years since I completed my undergrad).

What should I include in my portfolio if I do not have 3D renders or architectural projects that B.Arch students normally include in their M.Arch applications ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As well if you have any links to successful portfolios or project layouts of non B.Arch students who were accepted into M.Arch programs that would be a wonderful reference point.

Thank you in advance!

Aug 3, 23 11:09 am
Almosthip

There is a webinar provided by the RAIC - Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, for portfolio making

RAIC Webinar 

Aug 3, 23 5:13 pm  · 
2  · 
sakura97

Thank you! I will check this out!

Aug 6, 23 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Short answer is that schools that take on candidates without an arch undergrad background don't expect much "architecture" from their applicants.  What they look for is creativity and communication skills in any medium.  What you do need to focus on is identifying your particular approach to basic spatial concepts (such as scale, proportions, light, shadow, etc) and show your progress as you develop from idea to final piece.

p.s. Don't pay attention to Chartres above.  Just another angry at the world wanker because they are stuck in a dead-end role.

Aug 3, 23 5:43 pm  · 
2  · 
sakura97

Thank you so much for your help!

Aug 6, 23 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
sakura97

Thank you so much for your help!

Aug 6, 23 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
sakura97

A lot of my sculptures are generally about 8 by 8 Ft, with my largest sculpture being 20 by 20 ft (it was commissioned for a festival/concert).  Hopefully images from these pieces will help support my application!

Aug 6, 23 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
sakura97

A lot of my sculptures are generally about 8 by 8 Ft, with my largest sculpture being 20 by 20 ft (it was commissioned for a festival/concert).

Aug 6, 23 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: