Archinect
anchor

Pursuing an M. Arch if unsure about going into architecture?

josephlee

As the title says, I'm considering getting an M. Arch but I'm unsure what direction I want to take in life. I'm based in the US and have an undergraduate degree in something not related to architecture, and I've been taking an introductory Architecture course which I love but understand that it's not representative of the field

As I see it, the pros for an M. Arch would be:
+ Time and the exposure to figure out next steps, which would be concept art and design for animation / games / virtual reality, real estate development, urban design

+ Keep the door open to affect the built environment for public good

+ Design thinking training to be flexible

The cons for an M. Arch would be:

+ Cost (including giving up a high paying career)

+ Time (3 years for me)

Does this list sound about right? Anything you'd add or caveat? Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Aug 1, 23 4:25 pm
flatroof

Not worth getting a degree if you're unsure of using it in the first place. Those other areas you're interested in could be learned in your spare time or with other, more relevant degrees (MRED, Urban Planning). Especially don't leave a high paying job to pursue this either. 

Aug 1, 23 4:37 pm  · 
1  · 
josephlee

Any ideas on how to build up skills in design without formal education? I've taken some a-la-carte concept design classes but would appreciate additional ideas if you have any

Aug 1, 23 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with flatroof that you can still affect the built environment and learn design thinking without a degree in architecture.  

I wouldn't say you're giving up a high paying career though.  Good architects can make good money that's on par with most other professions that require a license.  Obviously there are some professions that will make a lot more.  Expect your starting pay (fresh grad) to be in the $42k range depending on where you live.  You'll make more in say NYC but the cost of living is also higher.  

As for taking three years - it will take more time than that if you want to be an architect.  You'll need to do an internship for at least three more years (typically five years) and take five exams before you're an architect.  Just something to be aware of.  

Aug 1, 23 4:59 pm  · 
2  · 
monosierra

You might want to look into real estate development or public policy too, if shaping the built environment is the goal. Many decisions are fait accompli by the time the architect is engaged.

Sep 15, 23 8:54 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: