Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate thesis theme about the usage of bamboo in architecture as an alternative sustainable constructive system

Hello everyone, i just arrived here and as first thread I'd like to know about your opinion of the bamboo as constructive system, whether it's worth dedicating  my undergraduate thesis around this theme and overall suggestions. Simon Vélez did an incredible job in Colombia by not only dedicating his architectural work in his projects, but managing to change the cultural perspective about the bamboo - seen as a hatred material, poor material for poor people - that was threatened to be ilegal using it at civil constructions, which made possible that he earns The Principal Prince Claus Awards (2009). I live in Brazil and bamboo is very abundant around here, and also its said that bamboo can grow mature in 4 ~ 5 years, representing no enviornment harm to cultive and grow for construction purpose. What are your thoughs about the usage of bamboo in architecture?

Jenny Garzón Bridge by Simon Velez

Jenny Garzón Bridge by Simon Velez. Got image from https://arquitecturayempresa.e...

Jul 13, 23 11:22 am
diegoalexismorales-suarez

Howdy, aspiring architect from Mexico here. I too thought of using bamboo for environmental and economical reasons, but not on massive projects. I feel concrete is the way to go, first reply on here, cheers. 

Jul 22, 23 9:18 am  · 
1  · 

Thanks for replying. I've been away from internet so sorry for taking so long to respond. What about mixing concrete with bamboo roofing or so? I think it would be solid in terms of constructive system and could have a bamboo roofing maybe

Aug 5, 23 4:03 am  · 
 · 
t a z

Random thoughts:

1. I wasn't aware there was any culture stigma against the use of bamboo as a building material, but for countries with model building codes the challenge is getting bamboo adopted as a recognized structural material that jurisdictions will accept. See current movement for mass timber or CLT as an example of the adoption learning curve for "new" structural materials.

2. What's that Vietnamese firm that does all those very impressive pavilions? As a progression and expression of vernacular bamboo construction their work is next level. But for other climate zones where enclosure is required to actively condition indoor space I'm not sure how well bamboo construction translates. It would be interesting to see any examples of enclosure systems that work with bamboo framing. Just because there isn't a commercial market doesn't mean it's not possible.

Jul 22, 23 5:20 pm  · 
2  · 
lacalr

In response to #2, I know Vo Trong Nghia Architects does a lot of bamboo work.

https://vtnarchitects.net/du-a...

Jul 24, 23 10:29 am  · 
2  · 

Yeah the challenge here is to bring it to a subtropical region where there's significant cold wind coming from south pole, while having a strong hot summer. it isnt wet as Amazonia or even tropical countries, except for the sea wind that keeps the thermal amplitude low. I would say that it can be possible to use bamboo at structuring and ennclosure walls with masonry or even another wood, maybe plaster?

Aug 5, 23 4:09 am  · 
 · 
t a z

3. Just like 3D printed home construction, the residential market is probably the best place to promote wider bamboo adoption if the economics make it comparable to the use of dimensional timber.

4. I would read a thesis written only about the use of bamboo as a scaffolding system in the Chinese construction industry.

Jul 22, 23 5:30 pm  · 
2  · 

#3 reply: same as in colombia, woodworkings are not well accepted here. People rather go for concrete + brick and modern design, even here in Brazil the vernacular production tends to go that way. We can see it here at small cities when people builds their house from scratch, they tend to design it all the same, even the low cost houses or government programs. There's a lack of architecture rooted to our culture, that1s why i would rather work with urban planing or cultural buildings around here.. Or maybe the way to change this missunderstood conception about the architecture and architects is starting at small cities and populations?

Aug 5, 23 4:16 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

You have to look back past 1492, when only the temples were built in stone.

Aug 5, 23 9:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: