Archinect
anchor

Advice for getting an M. Arch as a Data Analytics Major in undergrad?

hhhhhhhhhh

Hi, I am a data analytics major with a studio art minor (and potential math minor). I figured out in later into college that I want to be an architect. However, my school does not have a program for it and I did not want to switch schools for one as I've learned getting an M. Arch would also be fine, just might take an extra year or two. I have looked around at what different graduate programs require and there doesn't seem to be a very clear cut answer as to what I need to be taking now to get in / be prepared as someone who is not majoring in architecture in undergrad. I consulted with alumni at my school who are now architects and was advised to do data analytics and also work on a portfolio hence the art minor. I am grateful for this advice but I keep feeling like I am not doing something right or like I am missing something. I fear when I try to apply I will be rejected for never taking a specific class. Also my gpa is a 3.5 and I'm worried that is not good enough. I am a rising junior though so there is some time to get it up. If someone who has gone through a similar process to me could share how they did it and what it was like, I would appreciate it so much! 

Jul 12, 23 6:21 pm
____

Many people have been accepted to programs from backgrounds other than architecture. 

Imo the real question is why do you want to go into architecture. There is a low ROI for the time, money, and effort required.

Jul 12, 23 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

You should job shadow with several different architecture firms (the alumni you consulted with would be a good start) to get an idea of what architects really do all day.

MArch programs take people from all kinds of academic backgrounds, so what you are currently doing is fine.  Unless you or your parents are able to pay the cost of the MArch degree without hardship, you need to find MArch programs that will not load you down with student loans. 

Jul 12, 23 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Seconded. Do as much as possible to catch a glimpse of professional life as an architect - and related fields in construction, technology, fabrication, etc. Very few people manage to survive doing student projects for a living - for the most part, working life can be very different from architecture schooling.

Your data analytics background can be a major asset if you decide to pivot from architecture to working in a construction tech startup. 

Jul 12, 23 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: