Archinect
anchor

Diverse Scale Figures for Physical Model?

tdlh

Hi! Anyone know where I can find scale figure people for a physical model? Most kits I find are either unpainted or 99% white people.

Jun 15, 23 12:06 pm

May I ask why you want painted human figures?  I've always prefered the people in my models, illustrations, and renderings to be representative so to not distract from the architecture you're showcasing.  I even do this with 'realistic' renderings and models. 

One thing you could do is just spray paint the models a continuous neutral  color - white, grey, or brown/tan.  

I bring this up because the painted human models are always going to look 'cartoonish'.  Your only other option is to paint your own models.  Minatare painting is time consuming and takes a good deal of skill though.  

Jun 15, 23 12:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Wait... physical model?  like bass wood and cardboard?  Holy time-machine batman.

Back in the day, I made my own figures by bending a steel rod into a stylistic head and base.  

Jun 15, 23 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

I still do physical models . . . for 40K. ;)

Jun 15, 23 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

neeeeeeeerd

Jun 15, 23 12:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Jun 15, 23 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I used to just laser cut them out of thin bass wood or card stock.  I think the bass wood people were Greek or Italian, some of the more Burnt pieces were Sicilian, but You can use different color paper so your model has some more ethnic diversity…

Jun 15, 23 1:43 pm  · 
1  ·  1
proto

i'm guessing OP is looking for different shapes of bodies & non-white hairstyles to help sell a more diverse population on architectural models. Even the unpainted shapes can convey "white guy"-ness.

i don't have a source because we really don't do physical models anymore, but it's a good question.

i'm guessing 3d printing is your friend & maybe even a small market for an entrepreneurial character to sell to the few entities still doing physical models

Jun 16, 23 10:43 am  · 
2  · 

I didn't think about 3d printing. That would be a good option. I myself have always just used silhouette style scale figures that look like a person but have no distinguishing features to denote race or gender.

Jun 16, 23 10:46 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Nope, need to have everyone represented in the model. Humanity, collect the whole set.

Jun 16, 23 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Oh the irony of yo saying that . . . 

Jun 19, 23 10:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What scale are you using?

Jun 16, 23 11:12 am  · 
 · 
tdlh

3/8" = 1'... which makes it pretty hard to find good scale figures

Jun 16, 23 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Use Star Wars or Barbie figures.

Jun 16, 23 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I used a die-cast hotwheel batmobile for my massing/site models back in undergrad. Worked very well! For the curious, it was the 1989 tim burton version.

Jun 16, 23 3:37 pm  · 
2  · 

I used 'Micro Machines' for small scale site models. I just painted them white.

Jun 19, 23 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

there's plenty , just not that specific - https://www.eve-modeler.com/co...

Jun 16, 23 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 

You can also look at ARCKIT. They're an Irish company so I'm not sure of the scales available.

Jun 16, 23 12:50 pm  · 
1  · 
tdlh

Thank you all! It seems like I might resort to keeping things abstract, or laser cutting the figures myself.

Jun 16, 23 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: