Archinect
anchor

Facade Engineering/Envelope Consulting careers

knicksjets25

For someone interested in facade engineering/envelope consulting, would an architecture degree or a civil engineering degree be better preparation? I see people from both sides of the spectrum at the major firms (SGH, Arup, Buro Happold, etc.). I also see there are some niche Master of Building Science programs (University of Southern California, Northeastern for example). 

I'm currently, a sophomore at a liberal arts college majoring in physics and have been accepted to a few programs as a transfer student for civil engineering. The other option would be to stay at my current college and do a 3-year M.Arch. 

May 10, 23 11:46 pm
luvu

When it comes to building envelope ; performance ( thermal, comfort) , aesthetic and structure are always the driving forces in designing the facade. In Europe , some engineering programs would have these components covered in the bachelor level or specific M.Sc/Eng degrees.

i think an Arch related degree would prepare you  better in facade eng compared to a civil degree.

May 11, 23 3:42 am  · 
bowling_ball

Engineering all the way (though it likely won't be Civil unless that's what the school calls all building-related engineering majors).  Even the best architecture degrees will only cover this for a minute, and likely by other (unlicensed) academic architects who couldn't tell you the difference between an edge-of-slab connection and their own backsides. 

May 11, 23 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Doesn't Penn State have an Architectural Engineering degree program?

May 11, 23 3:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Kowski

You should look into an Architectural Engineering program - I know Penn State and Drexel University offer them & I'm sure there are others.  These are essentially engineering programs with some architectural education on the side (Arch history, studios, building systems), and usually have multiple concentrations to choose from.

The main difference between an AE and Civil is that Civil programs cover all types of infrastructure (buildings, bridges, roads, water resources, earthwork...) while AE programs focus on buildings and typically have classes covering all of the various systems involved (superstructure, foundations, facade, MEP, etc) which seems like what you're looking for.  Facade engineering firms will also be looking for AE degrees on a new hire's resume.

May 14, 23 8:27 am  · 
 · 
ioschool74
  1. types of infrastructure (buildings, bridges, roads, water resources, earthwork...) while AE programs focus on buildings and typically have classes covering all of the various systems involved (superstructure, foundations, facade, MEP, etc) which seems like what you're looking for.  Facade engineering firms will also be looking for AE degrees on a new hire's resume.

Try it yourself

May 14, 23 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
ioschool74

types of infrastructure (buildings, bridges, roads, water resources, earthwork...) while AE programs focus on buildings and typically have classes covering all of the various systems involved (superstructure, foundations, facade, MEP, etc) which seems like what you're looking for.  Facade engineering firms will also be looking for AE degrees on a new hire's resume.on

May 14, 23 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: