Archinect
anchor

How to Find Employment in an Architectural Firm as an Industrial Designer

lostindustrialdesigner

Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate of an industrial design program (B.Des) and I wish to pursue a career in architecture. 

My main reason for this post is to see if anyone here has managed to enter the architecture profession from a bachelors degree in industrial design. Is there any approach that worked for you? It seems like my resume would be screened out by any online application systems as I do not have a B.Arch or BS Arch.

Obviously, I intend to get my M.Arch at some point in the future but right now it is not financially viable for me. I would prefer to gain experience, build references, and get myself to a better financial position to pursue an M.Arch. For context, I have about $40,000 in debt from my ID undergrad and I am hoping to pay off the highest-interest $20,000 before going back to school and taking on more debt. 

May 8, 23 6:09 pm
graphemic

I can't speak to the likelihood of a firm hiring someone without architecture education. I did an MArch after a BA in another field, though, and took a few years between degrees to chill and earn some money. My solution: worked in construction. I was a laborer/carpenter for a few years, knowing I would ultimately be on the architecture side. It was deeply educational and satisfying, and really couldn't imagine what kind of worker I would be today without that experience.

If hard labor isn't to your taste, look at professions/jobs around architecture that will still add to your experience. Especially ones that don't require specialized knowledge. Could be in marketing/research for a firm. Maybe a company/supplier on the construction or development side (but not on site). 

Another thing I did was seek out alumni who also went into architecture, had coffee with them, etc. Build your network and don't worry about not having a BArch, your ID education will be an asset in the long run. 

May 8, 23 6:38 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Can't help personally, but I worked with an Industrial designer in an architect's office, he now owns an office and hires architects. It's been done.

May 9, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: