Archinect
anchor

UIUC vs Umich M.arch (2 years)

Raja raj

Hey guys so I got an admit from university of Illinois urbana Champaign and University of michigan Ann arbor (Taubman college) for the Masters in architecture (2 years) 

I am confused between these two universities which university would you guys suggest in terms of job opportunities in US after I graduate. 

May 4, 23 1:37 pm
Non Sequitur

These are the only steps you need to take in order to make adult decisions:

1. Pick the cheapest accredited degree
  2. Don't consider this an "investment".  It's not.
  3. Don't ask the internet to make adult decisions for you
May 4, 23 3:32 pm  · 
1  · 

The school you attend will not have a big impact on the jobs you can get after graduation.  Sure there could be some networking at certain ivy league schools that could get an opportunity for an interview but overall it's going to be based on your work.  

I'd look the faculty at each school.  You want faculty that has worked in the field outside of pure acidemia.  The one caveat to this would be architectural research.  A professor that has done a lot of research while in acidemia that is being applied to actual projects is very beneficial to learn from.   

May 4, 23 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
OM..

What do you imagine your graduate studies looking like? What do you want to do 5 years out of school, and then further into the future.

Be specific and I'll try to help.

May 5, 23 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Raja raj

Hello

May 7, 23 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Raja raj

Hello

May 7, 23 1:48 am  · 
 · 
Raja raj

Yeah I am thinking of working for some years and probably gain a lot more experience and then looking to start my own firm back in my home town. So I wanted to know like does university matter a lot when your applying for job (other than portfolio) .

May 7, 23 1:50 am  · 
 · 
OM..

Michigan is the better school with a better reputation. Their Masters program is focused on academic and theoretical work. It's a very large program with more practical faculty as well though. Since it's so big, you should be able to find what you're interested in. Overall the faculty is more plugged in to the architecture scene.

Illinois is a solid school but due to its location is somewhat disconnected. It's close to Chicago but there isn't a strong professional connection to those practices. The studios there are more tailored to practical concerns, although some younger faculty are introducing more openended studies.

Be sure to look at the faculty at both school and see if the work they do resonates with you. Check out the instagram and issuu accounts of the schools and recent students. 

May 7, 23 10:42 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: