Archinect
anchor

Do I have to opt physics in high school to pursue my career in architecture

s`eri

Hey!

I am not really bad at maths but still I went for commerce without maths for my 11th. My results aren't declared yet but I started my studies already.

I always liked architecture infact I put it in the second most slot of my career list. Now the question is do I have to choose normal maths or applied maths or do I even have to choose maths?

Since my results aren't out I still have the chance to opt for maths. Do I really have to choose maths as a main subject? Can I just choose applied maths? Cause then I won't have any competition and I can study it with full focus and ease. Also is maths included in the architectural courses, do they teach us the maths we need for constructing something from the scratch cause then I don't have to choose maths right?

Now physics, I am bad at it to be honest I never liked it but I read somewhere "physics shouldn't be your reason to quit dreaming about being an architect" and it sticks to me so I just want to know is it okay if I don't study physics (as I went for commerce stream) do the courses teach us physics too? I mean do I have to gain some exceptional knowledge about it (physics) ? Cause I have no plan for opting physics for class 11th and 12th. It's not a very intelligent decision to trust the online websites still from what I've read I got to know we don't need higher grades and knowledge about physics. The uni teach us everything we need to know about physics while constructing something.

I want some genuine answers from my architect friends cause my results will be declared soon and then I'll officially have to choose my stream. Again, should I opt for maths (normal or applied) or not and is it okay if I don't choose physics in 11th. 

I am not certain about my career path as I don't expect my 16 year old self to take so many decisions at this point. A little guide from you will help me. Any type of answer is appreciated here

May 1, 23 1:44 pm
Non Sequitur

While you don't need advanced "maths", you still need a very good understanding (above average) of the calculus and geometry.  What is crucial is a very good understanding of physics because that is the world we design in.  You may not ever see it outside of school but you do need to be comfortable with physics

May 1, 23 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Are you in the United States or somewhere else?

May 1, 23 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

I'd guess not the US with the use of the words 'maths' and phrase '11th'.  I'm guessing Brittan.  

May 1, 23 2:35 pm  · 
1  · 

It could be but it can be in U.S. in some local school districts that offers such courses at 11th grade. I'd just recommend waiting until the OP writes a response on that.

May 1, 23 9:03 pm  · 
s`eri

I am from India

May 1, 23 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

You need a general understanding of math and geometry. In architecture school you'll learn a little more about it. Then in practice you just need a good structural engineer.

The math is very basic, like: if a room has to have 15 square foot per person and you want to fit 30 people in it how big does it need to be?

Also the physics is also more based on vibes than math, for example, can you say why it's better to drill a round hole in a beam than a square one?

May 1, 23 3:45 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

No math required to if you just run services parallel to structure.

May 1, 23 5:26 pm  · 
2  · 

That image is about *vibes*, Non!

May 1, 23 8:38 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

Can't speak for wherever you're from. I think other people are making the point about the realistic value and need for math (basically you only really need it in school), but I'd tack on one note about physics in the US. 

Check the curriculum of the school(s) you want to go to. Unless you can take AP physics and place out of it in college wherever you plan on going, don't take it.  A lot of undergrad degrees require physics before structures, so you'd potentially just be taking it again. If you're bored I guess you could just take it twice though... 

May 1, 23 5:15 pm  · 
2  · 
graphemic

I took physics and calculus at a community college the summer before I started MArch. Basic, but enough. I even enjoyed it! In my work it is absolutely critical that I have some lasting understanding of the subjects, but by no means do I calculate differentials at my desk. 

May 1, 23 6:03 pm  · 
1  · 

While you don't necessarily need to take Physics in high school (it would likely be a good idea as you don't have to pay for it... in the U.S. at public school), you will need to understand physics enough to understand the basic engineering priciples used in Architecture. You can take it in college. You might not necessarily take the "Physics with Calculus" and honestly, you won't necessarily have to use calculus in professional practice as that would be what Professional Engineers are for. "Physics with Calculus" is a series of physics courses taught at some colleges that will involve more use of calculus in the course work versus your more basic math and algebra.

You can also take regular physics and also take math courses in calculus. At my local college, we have calculus math courses AND physics with calculus which you would usually enroll in "physics with calculus" and "calculus" math courses and the physics with calculus would be applying the use of calculus in the physics course assignment.

May 1, 23 8:57 pm  · 

If not clear, I'm assuming U.S. in my response. I'm not speaking for other countries on this.

May 1, 23 9:05 pm  · 

Josh, I'm not saying there isn't any value in learning calculus level or taking "physics with calculus and your calculus math courses. It's not absolutely required and seldom actually used or absolutely need to be used by Architects in practice. However, physics is and fundamental.

May 2, 23 2:25 am  · 
 · 
s`eri

Well thank you for your response, then I might go ror

May 1, 23 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
s`eri

** i might go for applied maths without physics ( also I am from India )

May 1, 23 9:39 pm  · 
 · 

Take a look at the architecture school curriculum in India from several if not all of them. Do their degrees require the physics and calculus. 

Guide yourself in preparation for those school curriculum and if the degrees requires it. While your pre-college curriculum might not replace the college courses, it might be easier to actually take those courses in college if you have had some education on the subject matter in pre-college. 

Prepare yourself the best you can for colleges you intend to go to. Look at other countries only if you are seriously intending to go to college in those countries and establish your career there. Otherwise, it would be a waste of time. 

PS: Remember, people will not automatically know where you are from. Where you are from and where you plan to go to college (by country.... and by institution, if necessary) in your introduction so people can best advise you.

May 2, 23 2:19 am  · 
 · 
s`eri

Well again thank you so much for the guidance, and yes I think so too, I should really put my desires in the content.

May 2, 23 4:14 am  · 
 · 

yes in the content and in lining up the courses to help best prepare you keeping an eye on the colleges you are looking at and what they require in the degree program. After all, there you might not get in to the #1 pick so have several others and be best prepared if you are seriously seeking architecture as your career in your area. Be adaptive, though. Even throughout your education and career. Try not to be short sighted by just doing the minimum. Some may suggest doing calculus and the more advance physics so if you can do it, best prepare yourself for it but don't set yourself up to fail, either.

May 2, 23 5:39 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: