Archinect
anchor

Recommended Architectural Books?

The title says it all. What architectural books do you recommend?  They can be any type , history, theory, collections of work, technical, general design, ect.  There is no wrong answer to this.  

I'll start

Drawing Shortcuts by Jim Leggitt

Universal Principles of Design by William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, and Jill Butler

101 Things I Learned in Architecture School by Matthew Frederick 

Apr 25, 23 1:19 pm
Wood Guy

A Pattern Language, Christopher Alexander et al. I've read it several times and due for a re-read; it always gets my brain going. 

Not exactly architectural, but one I refer to often is Understanding Wood by Bruce Hoadley--it's basically the bible for wood nerds. 

I'm finding that I'm often referencing A House Needs to Breathe--Or Does It? By Allison Bailes. It covers basic building science in a readable format. 

For advanced building science in a dense format, but worth slogging through: Water in Buildings by William Rose. 

Others I reference often, not quite daily but close: Manual of Steel Construction, ASD by the AISC, and ASHRAE Fundamentals, 2017 edition. 

I should have more inspirational books on my list and shelf but those are the ones always in arm's reach.

Apr 25, 23 1:47 pm  · 
4  · 
atelier nobody

Seems like there's a recent book about pretty good houses I'm vaguely remembering.

Apr 25, 23 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Huh, haven't heard of it ;-) (Currently Amazon's #1 best seller in Sustainability + Green Design!)

Apr 25, 23 8:07 pm  · 
3  · 
Miyadaiku

A Pattern Language is a great one. I’m actually currently re-reading it in Japanese.

Apr 26, 23 8:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Archinect

From the news today: 2023 Architectural Book Awards shortlist unveiled

Apr 25, 23 2:57 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I believe the 2 most important books in any architect's library should be Ching's Building Construction Illustrated and Wiggins's Manual of Construction Documentation.

Apr 25, 23 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Excellent, I’m a book lover and just ordered two new ones. Keep the recs coming. 

Apr 26, 23 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Everything referenced above seems to be primarily in the "reference" category (or similar). Away from that, the one that has always stuck out to me is Rowan Moore's "Slow Burn City". Certainly dense reading, but offers up a thought-provoking theory on the history of affordability in globalized cities. I started in urban planning prior to architecture school so it tickles my interest.

Apr 26, 23 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 

Just to be clear - the books could be anything with a relationship to architecture and / or design. 

For example: 

Glittering Images: A Journey Through Art from Egypt to Star Wars by Camille Paglia

Apr 26, 23 1:38 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Start With These
Apr 26, 23 6:52 pm  · 
1  · 

What if I can barely read 'Murican?

Apr 27, 23 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

http://www.leonardkoren.com/lk...

this could go in the inspiration thread also

Apr 26, 23 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Miyadaiku

It's in moon runes, but 新米建築士の教科書 is a great book for emerging professionals. It basically is a "here's all the stuff I messed up throughout my career so try doing things this way instead" manual.

I'll be honest, the cover illustration is what made me snatch it off the shelf though. Done in that old school isometric Japanese woodblock print style.

Apr 26, 23 8:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Zclpppp

My suggestion is just read without too much digging and thinking, then 1 day you will figure out what those books are talking about. Other wise I can not understand most of them to be honestly. Architect theorist like to make simple and easy things difficult to understand, then they can get fund or graduate from PHD.

Apr 26, 23 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

The Third Policeman

That was the first book I was assigned to read in architecture school, by a staff of phenomenologists. 

Apr 26, 23 11:48 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Also, every young architect should read the Fountainhead - both the "hero" and "villain" are great examples of the WORST kinds of architects. Don't be like either of them.

Apr 27, 23 2:57 pm  · 
2  · 

I think the applies to the majority of Rand's work . . . .

Apr 27, 23 3:04 pm  · 
4  · 
luvu

The feeling of things. : Adam Caruso

Apr 28, 23 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: