Archinect
anchor

Considering Transfer from Parsons

mm77n

Hello, I’m a first year student at Parsons for the BFA in Architectural Design. So far it’s been quite underwhelming, I don’t feel like it’s been a fulfilling experiences as I haven’t quite learned much of substance in regards to my major. 

Yes, I know the first year is foundational for all majors and next semester will be my sophomore year so it’ll be a very different experience as it’s going to be oriented towards my major. I had previously done one semester of Architecture at Torcuato Di Tella University in Buenos Aires, which was far more engaging and challenging from an academic perspective. 

I’m considering transferring from Parsons to a B.Arch program, such as that of Syracuse (I was accepted there initially but opted for Parsons as I wanted to be in NYC). I think Parsons is too abstract for my liking and I’m worried about its reputation when it comes to employment and/or applying for grad school (if I transferred to a B.Arch program I could likely bypass the idea of a masters). 

Could anyone give me some direction? Thank you.

Apr 17, 23 2:01 pm
reallynotmyname

A BFA in Architectural Design is not a good degree to get.  Definitely move to a B.Arch program somewhere for next year.  The first year foundation studio courses should transfer pretty easily to most places and many schools will have openings from people who have quit after year one.

I'm not familiar with a typical Argentine architecture curriculum, so I can't tell you where to find something similar in the USA.  Was it more technical than Parsons?

Apr 17, 23 2:36 pm  · 
2  · 
mm77n

Yes the program was far more technical than Parsons, I didn’t finish all the courses as I knew I was going to Parsons but ended up completing: Introduction to the Architectural Project (kind of like studio)
Introduction to Construction I
Mathematics I.

Apr 17, 23 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
mm77n

Yes the program was far more technical than Parsons, I didn’t finish all the courses as I knew I was going to Parsons but ended up completing: Introduction to the Architectural Project (kind of like studio)
Introduction to Construction I
Mathematics I.

Apr 17, 23 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Strongly agree here that a BFA in Architectural Design is not a good degree to get. The reason being, for the same energy/money/time you can get an accredited degree, and a lot more respect/understanding from potential employers. It won't limit you from going down a non-traditional professional path, either.

May 11, 23 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
j_ace91

I just finished up my freshman year in the fashion design program at Syracuse and have submitted a transfer application to parosns. I am looking to live in the city and gain connections!

May 11, 23 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: