Archinect
anchor

CMU vs. Cal Poly SLO for Undergrad

wiser06

Hi, I've recently received my college decisions back and I'm having a hard time deciding between Carnegie Mellon and Cal Poly SLO. I also got on Cornell's waitlist, but judging by the low chances, I doubt I will be accepted. I've looked into both programs and CMU seems to be a better fit for me, with a very design and technical based program, however, I still love the "nuts and bolts" and hands-on approach Cal Poly has. I also prefer the student culture at CMU more, but both colleges have clubs and events I'm interested in.

Although money isn't a significant concern to my parents, the tuition at CMU is four times greater than Cal Poly's, which is an incredible difference. After 5 years of college, I could have saved over 200k in expenditures. I just don't know if the investment on CMU is worth it. In addition, Cal Poly is closer to home. 

I've talked to my parents over this but they said to just go for whatever I prefer, and I'm still really conflicted. Lastly, I'm not sure I'm even set on architecture as a major yet, but I do like STEM and art-related subjects in general.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 4, 23 12:53 pm
Non Sequitur

"money isn't a significant concern to my parents"  Must be nice to have mommy and daddy fork out 6 figures for a fancy-pants art degree.

Architecture degree is not an investment.  Take the cheapest option available, even if it's not you who has to actually has to work to pay for the bills.

Apr 4, 23 1:10 pm  · 
1  ·  1
wiser06

Thanks for your reply. I understand that getting an architecture degree is a privilege, but a lot of family and friends have told me to take CMU without second thought. But even with what I have, that isn’t to say for sure my parents can pay for a total of over 350k in four or five years. Additionally, my family did not even consider Cal Poly as an option until I talked to them more about it. Also, I’d like to know why you say that an architecture degree is not an investment. Am I better off pursuing another undergraduate major, like engineering?

Apr 4, 23 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're a colossal idiot if you're considering spending 350k on any degree.

Apr 4, 23 2:54 pm  · 
wiser06

ok shut up now

Apr 4, 23 5:02 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Non Sequitur

It’s your funeral then. Enjoy delaying adulthood while repaying mommy and daddy at 40k per year entry salary.

Apr 4, 23 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

wiser06 - the average starting pay for recent architectural grad is around $42k. That wasn't a typo. In larger metro areas you will be paid more (ie NYC starting pay is around $62k) however the cost of living often surpasses the increase in pay. 

As NS has said $350k for an architectural degree is outrageously high. Think of it like this - the average pay for an architect with 15-20 years experience is around $100k (obviously more in a larger metro area but . . .) . Looking at the numbers a $350k degree is not an investment when your pay will probably top out at $150k.

Apr 4, 23 5:29 pm  · 
3  · 
el_jeffe

My advice for undergraduate - get out as inexpensively as you can. Since Cal Poly grants a BA, you'll need a professional degree afterwards to get licensed. Focus your money on that degree.

Apr 4, 23 2:52 pm  · 
1  · 
wiser06

Both Cal Poly and CMU provide a 5 year B. Arch path.

Apr 4, 23 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

I'd take the B.Arch path. It's all you'll need to become an architect. A masters is useless unless you want to teach.

Apr 4, 23 5:31 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

I would say that Cal Poly SLO is a BETTER architecture school than Carnegie Mellon. CMU is obviously better for a lot of other programs, but not so much for architecture, I think. And, CMU is totally not worth 200k extra, for this business.

As for Master's I dont think it is totally useless, especially if you want to pursue a specialization. But then again you can get a B.Arch from SLO and get a 1 year M.Arch from, say UCLA etc... would still work out better than CMU.

And yes, high architecture fees are not really an investment, you would be lucky if you break even in your 50s. If money is no object from your parents, take the 200k and invest it lol.

Apr 4, 23 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: