Archinect
anchor

Difficulty in finding a job

atnite1

I graduated with a bachelor's degree in 2021 and only had one internship for 2 months. Then one job experience for like 9 months. It has been 5 months since I've been unemployed. I since cannot find a job. I was asked to go to like 3 interviews and they didn't call back. If you could please take a look at my Portfolio and give me advice, I would much appreciate it.

Apr 3, 23 4:19 pm
____

For some reason I can't see your portfolio.

Apr 3, 23 4:51 pm  · 
1  · 
atnite1

I will send the link again. https://drive.google.com/file/...

Apr 3, 23 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
____

Please put it on issuu or here on archinect. I am not going to click on the link you provided.

Apr 3, 23 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

Honestly the portfolio looks fine for someone new out of school, so that is good. Not sure where you are looking, leverage networks, people you know. Cast a wide net and keep up the momentum. Give yourself the time to think and not let yourself feel caught up in this all. Soon enough, you will land something and you will move forward.

Apr 3, 23 9:25 pm  · 
2  · 
atnite1

Thank you for your reply.

Apr 4, 23 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

Ur portfolio is better than 90% of my undergraduate classmates. But the are all of them made by urself? with out and team work, if not then u need more projects. 

Apr 4, 23 12:54 am  · 
1  · 
atnite1

Thank you for your reply. Yes, those are all the projects I did during college. I didn't want to include group projects because I only wanted to show my work.

Apr 4, 23 11:43 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

While I can't see the link, I wouldn't shy away from showing group work. You'll never have a job where you work totally on your own and I think it's important to show how you can coordinate and collaborate with others. Again without seeing your portfolio, having your own designs might make for some conversation, but when you're starting out they won't be hiring you to lead a conceptual design, but will just want to see you can pump out drawings, renders and do some grunt work.

Apr 12, 23 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
ayshaecomin

Firstly, make sure that your resume and cover letter are well-written and tailored to each job you apply for. Highlight your skills, accomplishments, and experience that match the job requirements. Make sure your application is error-free, and that you have followed the application instructions carefully.

Secondly, consider expanding your job search beyond online job boards. Attend job fairs, networking events, and industry conferences to make connections and learn about job openings. You can also reach out to your network, including friends, family, and former colleagues or classmates, to see if they know of any job opportunities or can provide a referral.

Apr 12, 23 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

When you say you've been looking. How many places have you applied? 

I can't see the portfolio anymore, but I looked though it when you first posted. Honestly wasn't impressed. It's pretty boring, and dosn't show off a lot of the skills many firms are looking for in fresh grads.

Apr 12, 23 6:39 pm  · 
natematt

ok @pandahut since you're downvoting me, what does the portfolio tell you about the OP, that you find so encouraging? 

I suppose it's fair I should clarify the opposite. I would want some demonstration that a fresh grad is capable with visuals. Renderings, graphic software, diagrams and more diagrammatic drawings. I'd like to be able to tell that they can use the Adobe suite, probably also rhino and grasshopper at this point in the profession. I'd say Revit is a plus, but that seems like all this shows off to me... and a year on the job with Revit will make you better than 4 years of school. 

Apr 12, 23 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

To be clear, I think they can absolutely fix the portfolio. However, I am still really curious about how much effort they have put into applying, because I do think their portfolio is mark etable, just not to as broad of a job market as they would probably like.

Apr 12, 23 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: