Archinect
anchor

Undergrad degree at RISD, Parsons, U-dub, Virginia Tech.

songkiatsumetkijakan

My son is really determined to be an architect.  He got accepted from Parsons with $10,000/year scholarship and also got in U of Washington in Seattle, Virginia Tech and RISD with no scholarship offered.  With tuition at RISD much more expensive than U-dub and VT, and U-dub accepting him into pre-architecture and not direct-to-major, we are leaning toward VT.  But we are not really sure if this is the right decision. 

Please help.  Every advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 

Songkiat

Apr 3, 23 11:48 am
Non Sequitur

The right direction will always be the cheapest option.

Apr 3, 23 12:27 pm  · 
2  · 
reallynotmyname

You are right to avoid any place that won't do direct-to-major.  You don't want to risk getting on the wrong side of whatever their gatekeeping criteria is and having to transfer somewhere else to get your arch. degree.

Is it correct to assume that VT is going to be less expensive for you than Parsons?

Apr 3, 23 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
songkiatsumetkijakan

Yes, Parsons total cost is still more expensive than VT, mainly because of the location (NYC vs Blacksburg, VA).  Thanks a lot.

Apr 3, 23 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Most of the undergraduate programs (in a way graduate too) are similar in terms of curriculum and faculty, and mostly in a good way.
For me, the school's context would matter in terms of the school's proximity to a bigger architectural community with its events, lectures, resources, important examples of architecture old and new, and cultural exchanges. Those are going to be useful influences in your development as an architecture student and are not available as a class. If you manage your time well, you can tap into these 'amenities' and get the most out of your school years while trying to shape your future.
But the biggest advice will be to sign into a program that is also within a sustainable budget as it is already mentioned. A lot of things I wrote above are also within your reach through your computer.
+, Blacksburg, VA could be very interesting too. It didn't happen to me but staying out of the urban centers can be a very valuable experience I can imagine. You never know I guess.
Looks like you are about to make the right decision even though I don't know what the 'right decision' is to you.
Architecture education is also about what you make out of what you have in front of you.

Apr 4, 23 12:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: