Archinect
anchor

How does the M.Arch program (2 year) at CMU compare to UMich / UW / UIUC / USC

Thinker08

I am weighing my options for M.Arch 2-year programs, and I was wondering how Carnegie Mellon compares to Michigan, Illinois, Washington and Southern California with respect to employment and studio pedagogy. I haven't seen any mentions or comparisons on CMU in any threads.

CMU's site which shows career outcomes doesn't have the option to see M.Arch outcomes.

Further, if there are opinions on any of the Universities mentioned above which would give better career employment as an international student in the US, they are welcomed too.

Apr 3, 23 11:50 am
Non Sequitur

You applied to schools without first knowing their pedagogies? Enjoy paying international tuition.

Apr 3, 23 12:29 pm  · 
Thinker08

If your first instinct is to comment something negative or isn’t helpful to the discussion, please refrain from commenting.

Apr 3, 23 1:10 pm  · 
3  · 
Thinker08

If your first instinct is to comment something negative or isn’t helpful to the discussion, please refrain from commenting.

Apr 3, 23 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about double posts?

Apr 3, 23 1:15 pm  · 
Thinker08

Do you believe if you know or researched something, you shouldn’t take other people’s opinion on it?

Apr 3, 23 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I believe laziness is easier than adequate research. "Help me internet jebus, make my adult decisions for me" is easier than spending a few hours reading through literature and making your own conclusions.

Apr 3, 23 1:23 pm  · 
Thinker08

then don’t comment on an online forums, the definition of a forum is to where ideas and opinions can be shared. If you believe doing that is so wrong, maybe this site isn’t really a good fit for you

also please don’t assume other people traits and personalities, you have no idea what those people are going through trying to make decisions, stop discouraging them from asking questions.

Apr 3, 23 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a pretty good idea tho since this is so common and too many one-post ponies use the forums as a magic eight-ball. Hopefully you're not paying too much for school. Remember, architecture degrees are not worth tens of thousands in debt.

Apr 3, 23 1:54 pm  · 
Zclpppp

CMU compare to UMich / UW / UIUC / USC

Umich vs cmu, both good school, UW not good for international tuition. UIUC's good teachers are retired, USC , cuz u have already have CMU and U Mich. so no need to set USC as an option. 

Apr 4, 23 12:58 am  · 
1  · 
Thinker08

I am currently not considering USC because of their egregious amount of tuition coupled that with the higher cost of living in LA. And i would rather living on the east coast instead of the west coast as a personal preference.

Apr 4, 23 2:22 am  · 
 · 
Thinker08

live*

Apr 4, 23 2:22 am  · 
 · 
EthanFromAugend

I’ve been doing a lot of research on UW and UC Berkeley, because I’m considering accepting an offer at one of these places. With regards to UW, I’ve been very impressed with the faculty’s outreach and their curriculum seems pretty great. Rick Mohler is the graduate director and I’m sure he could answer more specific questions. Seems like they have lots of options for exploration: real estate development, design computation, urban design, lighting design, etc. I don’t know too much about the other schools, but I have heard UMich and Carnegie Mellon are top notch. USC also seems to rank pretty well. I imagine the pay and employment opportunities will depend a lot on where the school is located. UW and USC are both located in pretty big cities (Seattle and LA), and CMU is located in Pittsburgh, which is much smaller. UMich is located in the middle of nowhere, but I’d imagine they have ties to Detroit. I definitely think looking into which city you’d most like to work in would be helpful! Good luck!

Apr 4, 23 1:32 am  · 
1  · 
Thinker08

Looking at UMich,s employment reports posted on their website of past years, they seem to have good outcomes where people are getting employed around the States and the World at relatively relevant positions. After talking to current students and alumni, the reason seems to be because of their strong alumni network.

Apr 4, 23 2:19 am  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

Go to top school if you can, if you are young and have enough time. Even though u are going find a job after this or teaching in the school.

U still got a good experience in this approach. Have fun being the classmates with smart peoples, that's my point. 

Apr 4, 23 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

16 in. x 8 in. x 8 in. Concrete HW STD Block

Sorry, had to. 

Apr 5, 23 1:46 pm  · 
2  · 

Should of posted a bullnose unit.

Apr 5, 23 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

I would look at the student work to make your decision. What is the school website showing? Find some students that go there and check out what they're posting on their Instagram or looks through portfolios on Issuu. Go to the one who's work is "best." 

I don't think alumni network is very important. I just haven't encountered that kind of school-specific favoritism when looking for candidates. Some schools have studio cultures / professors that have greater expectations and that's why those portfolio's get chosen en masse compared to other schools. UPenn is a good example of that. 

Michigan and USC tend to be strong portfolio-wise, UIUC generally weaker but more oriented to corporate practice. I haven't encountered the others. 

Apr 5, 23 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 

I would look at where past alumni are currently working - think of it as a 'how many got hired' type of thing. 

Apr 5, 23 2:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: