Archinect
anchor

US licensure vs other countries

G4tor

What with the AREs and specific state tests, is US the hardest place to get licensed as an architect?

Mar 27, 23 11:51 am

Look at NCARB's website.  

In the US all of the states use the same ARE.  

I know Florida and California have one additional test to deal with earthquakes and hurricanes.  I'm not sure if other states have an additional test because these environmental conditions. 

Mar 27, 23 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

not the question unfortunately. I know all about the requirements of different states, i'm asking US licensure vs other countries, as is also evident in the title as well.

Mar 27, 23 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

A take away would be that the US is not a monolith, nor are other countries.

Mar 27, 23 2:49 pm  · 
1  · 

Still look at NCARB's website - they have links to various groups that oversee licensure of other countries. NCARB even has data on pass rates for various countries.

Mar 27, 23 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Most countries have their own licensure process. Many will consider U.S. licensure is equivalent or credited towards some of their own requirents. Numerous countries may still require you to take their own exams namely, their codes and regulations are significantly different than in the U.S.

Mar 27, 23 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd say, hardest place is Quebec because you have to jump through extra hoops to comply with their french first, french second, french third policy. 

Mar 27, 23 12:40 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

I’m planning a trip to Quebec. I hear the food scene is awesome.

Mar 27, 23 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Happy to talk to you offline if you want X, but where you heading? Montreal or QC city? Food is great, sorta a Canadian version of traditional french & Belgian. Beer is good too.

Mar 27, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Are these literal hoops? If what Media has told me of Quebec is true it would seem plausible.

Mar 27, 23 2:45 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Appreciate it man. Quebec City.

Mar 27, 23 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No problem, I was there back in September. Hit me up when you're closer to you dates and/or planning and I'll give you some recommendations.

Mar 27, 23 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

I'd assume if you're perusing licensure in a specific country that you'd know their language already. Why would you even start if you can't even communicate with any potential client?

Mar 27, 23 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Quebec is not a country. It's a province with draconian french-only laws in a everyone is equally awesome country (Canada) with English & French as official languages hence why I list it as difficult. It's very hard to gain professional-level fluency in french and you need to even for reciprocity licenses.

Mar 27, 23 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

The irony of your statement G4tor is almost funny.

Mar 27, 23 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I hear the french can be easily bribed with cheese and maple syrup

Mar 27, 23 4:16 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

Appreciate it man. Quebec City.

Mar 27, 23 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^Wrong spot….

Mar 27, 23 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Do you have a point to this line of questioning? The retorts to the responses you've gotten are perplexing. Relax friend.  

Mar 27, 23 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 

His / her assignment is due soon and hasn't bothered to do any research?

Mar 27, 23 2:56 pm  · 
1  · 
G4tor

nah, just seeing posts on architectural group websites with people from other countries calling themselves architects and then reflecting on my own journey towards licensure.

Mar 27, 23 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

i mean, if the retorts make other people sleep better at night, then go for it. I've nothing against people who wants an ego boost on the internet :)

Mar 27, 23 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

I sleep comfortably on my license, piles of money, and with all the architectural groupies. Wait, I may be thinking of an engineer . . .

Mar 27, 23 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

some countries have different education curricula that are conducive to licensure upon graduation, usually a 5 year plus thesis program. including all the aspects that schools here choose not to teach, like construction, structures, materials science, management, and internships. is it easier? is it harder? it's all relative.

Mar 27, 23 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: