Archinect
anchor

NYC to LA

doctor_von_n0strand

I'm interested in the perspective of any architects who have made the move from New York to Los Angeles. I am originally from near LA, and went to college on the west coast, also near LA. For my M. Arch I came to the east coast and ended up in NYC after graduation, where I've been now for a few years.

As my family gets older, it worries me that I'm not around. I also miss the sense of openness, sunlight, air and so forth that I grew up taking for granted. Additionally, I think being nearer to my family would be a big help to me, personally, in just feeling more at ease and good about life.

I've also heard, dollar for dollar, overall quality of life is a little nicer in LA than in NYC. That, generally, the culture isn't as driven by hustle and workaholism as it is in NYC. I value my work-life balance, and sometimes I do find the pace of work expected in NYC to be exhausting sometimes.

I'm just curious who here has made this move, I'm sure a lot have, and whether anyone would be willing to share their story and what they've experienced. This is a decision I probably won't make for a few years yet, but being home with the folks for spring break does have me wondering.

Mar 23, 23 6:50 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: