Archinect
anchor

Canadian M.Arch and M.LA

chronicinsomniac

Anyone have any opinions on which school is more highly valued in the professional world?

Also wondering if anyone knew if waitlisted candidates from these schools are still eligible for entrance scholarships/funding if they get off the waitlist?

Mar 21, 23 11:29 am
Non Sequitur

Top ACCREDITED (M.Arch) architecture schools in Canada are as follows:

1.  Waterloo

1.  McGill

3.  The rest in no particular order

4.  UofT

5.  RAIC Syllabus Path

Scholarships and bursaries (and TAships) are primarily merit based so it is strange to think a school would offer $ to a waitlisted candidate.  Available scholarships are typically reserved for those the school actually want in their program while the waitlist is just purgatory for those who simply did not make the cut but were not bad enough to warrant a rejection.

Mar 21, 23 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Poor Syllabus path down at the bottom. If a person manages to finish this path they deserve more respect than the bottom of the list, certainly above UofT. They are probably have more self discipline than any of the graduates from the top university.

Mar 21, 23 1:00 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Agree... I only know of a few in my local arch circles who've actually passed it (RAIC). Those folks are super organized and very buisness-oriented. Everyone else I've crossed is a weird "artist" dreamer, a disgruntled but lazy tech, or a quarter-time student who believes that 10years of self-guided study is a good use of their free time.

Mar 21, 23 1:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

As I drag my butt through year 6 of Syllabus there are many things I can think of that I would much rather be doing than writing a long research essay about how architecture was used to promote and sustain states that were structured along hereditary class lines.

Mar 21, 23 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
chronicinsomniac

What's wrong with UofT? Sorry I don't know much about its reputation

Mar 21, 23 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Search the forums but the 30second spiel is that a vast majority of its M.arch class is composed of students from its bad "architectural studies" bachelor program so that waters down the average student quality. Another is simply because it's toronto. Sure, UofT has a good rep for many programs, but just because it has a good school of business, or medicine, or law, etc... does not automatically mean its arch school is good. Finally, UofT is for most a default school "just to get the degree because my parents live in the GTA" so complaceteness and half-ass'ness runs strong through student body and graduate works. Some exceptions apply, obviously, but in general, this is why I see it at the bottom.

Mar 21, 23 1:56 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

https://twitter.com/brittlesta...

Mar 21, 23 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: