Archinect
anchor

Employment - Current Scenario

Hi, 

I am a Master's Student in Columbia University, and I am graduating in May. I am an International Student and obviously don't have as many contacts as the students living here since long. Simultaneously, being an international student, I have a clock on my head because of the visa situation. With the market dying so bad right now, all architecture jobs seem under jeopardy. I have applied to a lot of places, however, haven't heard back for interview from even 1 place. I would love some guidance on what might be going wrong with my application, or how should I apply to ensure I have a job by May. It's becoming really stressful. 

Would love any help from my co-Archinect friends as this forum helped me a lot during applications. 

Mar 19, 23 11:19 pm
____

1. Imo your portfolio is way too long. I would edit it down to 3 or 4 projects.

2. Rewrite the descriptions of the projects as a short paragraph and have them reviewed by a native English speaker. Apply the same review process to your cover letter and resume.

I wish the best of luck to you.

Mar 20, 23 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Hi,

I edited my portfolio, removed a few projects. Changed some sequences, please do check that out and lemme know. 

Mar 20, 23 11:26 am  · 
 · 
____

It is greatly improved. What is throwing me off is the vertical orientation. I know some of the images are vertical. You can either edit by changing the orientation to landscape and not using them or reducing those images that continue over 2 pages by half and combining them as a single image. This would greatly increase their impact. It is not necessary to fill up every square inch. Use the white space as a design element. My 2¢.

Mar 20, 23 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

I understand, however, when most of the people look at the portfolio, it's just 11X17s not vertical sheets. (so its mostly horizontal sheets except the cover page) I can increase more white space for sure

Mar 20, 23 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
baboo.fei

Have you tried reaching out for networking? Look at LinkedIn / alumni directory for coffee chat opportunities. 

Mar 20, 23 12:14 am  · 
 · 

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have been doing a lot of networking. :(

Mar 20, 23 11:27 am  · 
 · 
2005bmw325i

I would put your most recent gsapp projects before the undergrad projects. Also agree it is wayyyy too long

Mar 20, 23 6:59 am  · 
 · 

Hi, I put one of my GSAPP project on the top, and I reduced the length too. Let me know

Mar 20, 23 11:27 am  · 
 · 

78 pages is still way too long. Think about this - as an architect with around 20 years of experience my professional portfolio is only about 25-30 pages long and has 7 -8 projects in it.

Mar 20, 23 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I reduced the pages to about 38-40, I feel without these, I won't be able to tell my story

Mar 20, 23 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

You're not telling a story with your portfolio - you're showcasing your talents and garbing a potential employers attention. You tell your story with your CV and during the interview. You have to think of it like this - if a potential employer gets 50 applicants and they spend 30 minutes going through each person's portfolio and CV that's 25 hours of their week.

Mar 21, 23 9:56 am  · 
1  · 

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks Chad.

Mar 21, 23 11:48 am  · 
 · 

didnt see the longer versions, but this seems ok in terms of length.

From my own perspective the central question is what you are interested in and what you bring to an office. The current portfolio looks good however the projects read as assignments, meaning there is not much of your own personality on view. I am especially confused by the neo-classical project at the end. It is hard to reconcile that project with the first one. On one hand it suggests you are flexible, on the other it also suggests you dont have an opinion one way or another about what architecture is or should be in the future.

If there is a way to weave a narrative through the projects in the way they are presented that may help. The narrative is about what you value.

Not speaking for large office, but for us at least we hire the person not the projects.

Mar 20, 23 12:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply. There is usually a storyline that I follow when I explain the projects, and that storyline is mostly scale. Even though I have now moved the projects around, it is mostly about working on projects from a larger scale to a smaller scale and having the competency to perform at various scales. However, in each project, there is a certain respect and understanding of the smallest scale of streets. 

The explanation usually has a narrative, but, as an entry level designer, especially international student, the various scales kind of helps me to apply to all types of firms. 
I would want to as you, seeing this portfolio, and if I interview and explain my projects according to the narrative I usually follow, would you hire me as an architect? Considering I have about 3 years of work experience in design and construction. 

P.s. My resume and cover letter (I hope) form a part of this extended narrative to answer questions of interest. 

Mar 20, 23 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

That is just how it is with this field. A lot of recent grads competing for entry level jobs. The visa situation requiring sponsorship is also making it worse. If not location restricted, widen your search to national. After a few years of experience it will get much better. Only about half of recent grads will enter architecture.

Mar 20, 23 12:06 pm  · 
1  · 

This makes a lot of sense. I have been trying to apply nationwide, however, would like to live on the East Coast. If nothing works out, then West Coast it is.

Mar 20, 23 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Why is everyone commenting on the portfolio. I think overall they are fine. I'll give a few advices too. Reduce pages further. Combine renderings and diagrams into single pages. Scale down as required. Be selective with what you put in. Only put in the best graphic. Most reviewers flip through them in 1-2 min. It is all about the general impression from the overall quality of work.

Mar 20, 23 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 

I would ask you one question though, it is easy to put in the best drawings and renders, however, it becomes very hard to explain the project in an interview, without the supporting drawings (that might not be the best). How does one navigate that?

Mar 20, 23 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Bring additional images to use during your interview. Think of it as an expanded, unbound portfolio. Your portfolio is just to grab an employers attention. A employer will ask you to explain more about the projects they are interested in during the interview.

Mar 21, 23 10:01 am  · 
1  · 

That could be a way to go about it. Having 2 portfolios. One with just best graphics and one with details.

Mar 21, 23 11:49 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Id remove the last two projects - others are good, I feel and show the vast range of skills you have learnt, and can employ. That said, as Will pointed out, it seems like a lot of portfolios that I have seen recently. You need to put more of "yourself" in the works you are showing.

However the only way to go around employment is to network a bit more and apply to as many offices as you can. Someone is bound to pick up the portfolio and offer an interview. Also, I dont think architecture in the US is slowing down quite yet, although that may happen soon...

Mar 20, 23 8:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Hopefully what you say comes true, and thanks for your advice.

Mar 21, 23 1:47 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Try to take your situation, and struggle, and write it in a more in depth formal letter, maybe explaining your journey and future plans.  Use that as a “cover letter”.   sometimes getting a little personal goes a long way to appeal to the emotions of the reader.   It’s probably safe to say that the economy is getting a chill right now, and many firms are probably hesitant to hire.  I would personally be more motivated to break from that economic/strategic mindset by an a moving letter than a fancy portfolio.  Also, this is not a time for short term hires because we are entering a recession, and in a recession people make long term investment.  Make an impression that you are looking for a longer term employment or mentorship.  

Mar 21, 23 12:24 am  · 
2  · 

This seems like a very interesting idea, Infact, I started writing a new cover letter yesterday.

Mar 21, 23 11:51 am  · 
 · 
kjpn

70% of jobs are given to applicants who are referred or know someone. I read that recently as a stat. Since you are in a time crunch I would immediately expand your scope beyond the east coast. I also would prioritize applying to jobs on archinect or AIA job boards I've read that alot of jobs on linkedin and other boards are fakes. I would start reaching out to virtually every architectural recruiting company, talk to recruiters and let them know you are looking for an entry level role and and are open to a wide variety of opportunities and locations.

Mar 22, 23 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Thank you kjpn. I have been doing most of that. I have been applying actively everywhere, making contacts, talking to people. Could you suggest some recruiting companies?

Apr 3, 23 9:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: