Archinect
anchor

So many threads about… school?

baboo.fei

Why is there so much discussion about schools/programs in this forum? I don’t see nearly as many threads about firms, groups, or cities.

Mar 12, 23 1:00 pm
Non Sequitur

because kids use the shotgun approach when applying to grad school then ask for advice when it’s time to pick one because they did minimal thinking during app time. They rely on the internet to make expensive adult decisions. 

Mar 12, 23 1:20 pm  · 
6  ·  2
geezertect

And then they will be back in a few years asking how to get out of the profession so they can make a reasonable living.

Mar 13, 23 10:21 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

NS, maybe we are still just at a point where the young ones going into school don't have reliable and relatable adults in their life who can provide appropriate feedback on the topic.

Mar 13, 23 11:50 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

The problem is that this profession is so small in numbers that most adults really don't know any architects, so they never hear the stories and can't give meaningful feedback

Mar 13, 23 2:05 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

One of Archinect's best features ever:

Not that academic & school topics shouldn't be available, of course.  But it's nice to be able to easily set them aside.

Mar 12, 23 11:22 pm  · 
5  · 

Doing this now.

Mar 13, 23 12:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I can’t find the option. Conspiracy? Probably.

Mar 13, 23 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 

I blame Non-ASD.

Mar 13, 23 3:26 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Part of being in Archinect jail, Non.

Mar 13, 23 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Wait, NS is in jail!? Or you mean Non-ASD?

Mar 13, 23 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm just yanking Non's Canadian chain ;o]

Mar 13, 23 4:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Hehehehehe.

Mar 13, 23 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yank away.

Mar 13, 23 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

There is a joke in there somewhere . . . .

Mar 13, 23 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

NOT that there's anything wrong with that...

Mar 13, 23 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

True. I just don't want to make a joke about wanking Non.

Mar 13, 23 6:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Archinect

Every year, from late February through April, there is a big spike in academic posts as prospective students anxiously await responses from admissions offices. 

Mar 13, 23 11:46 am  · 
2  · 

I'm curious why schools don't do a better job telling students about the application process. It seems like many students have no idea regarding the how, when, and why of a schools admin process.

Mar 13, 23 12:47 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

as someone with a HS grad headed to college, admissions offices do provide plenty of info, but I imagine the posts here are looking for the stuff that isn't easily condensed into college admissions stuff

also, reflective of newer gens that get everything online & aren't shy about crowd sourcing -- whereas we olds cringe at all the lack of find-shit-yerself motivation

Mar 13, 23 3:24 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Most of the questions here are for MArch so the questions are a little more, dumb?

Mar 13, 23 5:35 pm  · 
1  · 

I wouldn't say 'dumb'. Uninformed?

Mar 13, 23 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I would say it's 60/40.

Mar 13, 23 6:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I have 2 very good friends who are grade 12 teachers and guidance counselling

Mar 13, 23 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

And every year they approach me saying x many students want to know more about arch school. I keep telling them to send them my way and I’ll fill them in. Give them my professional emails as well as my personal contact info. After more than 10 years, not a single one ever reached out…. A few HS have reached to me via the forum tho and some even followed through and made it in. Just easier to leave a question and let others fill in the blanks than contact real people and talk things over.

Mar 13, 23 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

It is a big moment for these young people and their anxiety is heightened. I am very familiar with this phase because my students apply for transfer to area universities to enter the next phase of their studies towards a Barch or sometimes March when they have a uni degree already from another major. I am close to these students and often write LoR for them. It is a very intense experience for them to chart their future as they are only a step away from their goals of entering the professional architecture workforce.
I am ok with that they post here sometimes silly but often sincere questions and information. Perhaps, this is their last innocent state of mind in architecture still unbeknownst to them. Many students I have in this generation are very calculating. In my interview with Peter Cook, he also talks about calculating survivalist architecture students prevalent in the UK and here in the US.
One of the most relieving moments in my life is when I was told to my face that I can start school the next month. 
It would be nice though since these applicants are writing on an international discussion platform to make it a little more interesting.
There was a popular and respected thread something like "School Central" that reappeared every year for a while. It was a "hip" place to discuss everything about the school applications. I never go to the academia section but there's a forum too. And this thread appears there as well. I think the reason they are posting here in this main forum, is that they want to hear from us older Aholes.:))))

Mar 13, 23 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Orhan, one of my biggest complaints about some of the questions, is that many of them tend toward "what should I pursue" or "what school, help me decide". I did not go to grad school, I thought I was going to start a family, but I knew where I wanted to go, and although I did not have my "big question" sorted out, I had a sense of it, I just never thought about coming here to have a community decide it for me.

Mar 13, 23 8:43 pm  · 
1  · 

b3, I wanted to be an architect. Having no family or relatives, I didn't have anyone around me to show what was the right thing to do. From the get-go, I had to make my own decisions. I am grateful for that. I wouldn't stay in architecture if it wasn't for Ray Kappe's loosely structured SCI-Arc. Architecture's corporate side didn't fit my personality. My generation took a lot of risks.

Mar 13, 23 11:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Mar 13, 23 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: