Archinect
anchor

FAFSA of graduate school

Zclpppp

Low-income students' undergraduate school cost is mostly covered by FAFSA. Pell grant and other state aid, which do not need to payback. 

How about the graduate school's  FAFSA? Is it also cover the tuition?

Mar 1, 23 2:49 pm

FA is up to the school, but FAFSA will qualify you for up to $20500/yr in loans

Mar 1, 23 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

So pity

Mar 1, 23 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Don't spend 160k on a advanced art degree then. Max load info is right there on their website too... so you're not really strong on the research department.

Mar 1, 23 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

As far as grants, I think you can get them for some specific majors, like teacher certification.  But for most majors, there are no additional federal grants

Mar 1, 23 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

Let us say if the tuition is 50k, there are only 20k from the loan, then the others are still out of pocket?

Mar 1, 23 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

'Merica!

Mar 1, 23 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

FAFSA is involved in Graduate level as well. What you are talking about is Pell Grants and similar. At graduate school level, they offer student loans. What you are suggesting is Pell Grants and similar programs but for graduate school level. I figure I help correct the OP's intended statement. This is not a statement for or against such programs.

Mar 1, 23 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I had great success, like 90% success rate minimal effort, finding cultural society groups giving away $500-2500 for essays.  You basically creep on their website and board members (or whoever will be judging it) for an hour or two, and then knock out a few paragraphs talking about how society/culture/architecture really needs to get back to "whatever they care about"  

The hardest part was typically going to whatever award ceremony they were holding.  

While my costs were lower than these days, with the "oh we promise a GRA position will open up" fell through and other side hustles with profs "sure we promise to pay you X for this work" going sideways, my most lucrative and stable work was short essays.  Probably made between 30-40k all in.  

Mar 2, 23 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Zclpppp

I just received the FAFSA file yesterday. There are all loans in that file which cover the cost(tuition+living expense) at all. But no grants anymore. Graduate program is definately different with undergraduate, which most of the livingcost and tuition was paid by the grant. 

Mar 2, 23 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

FAFSA does not provide grants for graduate school level. They are entirely loans at that point from FAFSA. If you want grants, scholarships, or other aid you don't have to pay back (like loans),you need to seek them out from third-party sources. FAFSA might be able to help you with info, although not exhaustive list. So you need to look for scholarships for graduate school and potentially grants. (Grants are similar as scholarships are a type of grant) Many scholarships are just for undergraduate study. Graduate school generally assumes you are a returning student who graduated and you're back for more educational study... often those who already have jobs in between and frequently now have a teaching/TA position. You would be assumed to have saved some money and have at least a TA position, otherwise "why are you there". There's a trope that you go to grad school so you can teach. While we know that's not entirely true but the *belief* exist and it has an effect on availability of scholarships and grants. Yeah, my suggestion is keep searching and looking for third-party grants/scholarships and try to line up a TA position. TA as in teaching assistant, and may go by different term at different institution. Additionally, you need to save money which means, you may need to do some cost cutting/saving measures. This means, you'll need a job and you may need to work for about 5-10 years. Note: It is common for grad school students to be several years older than undergrads. Frequently, in their late 20s to 40s.

Mar 6, 23 2:25 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: