Archinect
anchor

How important are Letters of Recommendation for Grad School?

nibbs

I'm interested in applying for Grad School in the U.S, MDes in particular and I'm currently working with a professor who has a masters and a phd in that degree and he has some amount of power in our department.

The project itself is quite amusing and interesting and I've been working on it with him for over 5 months now. However, I'm having trouble with that professor. He doesn't listen to our opinions fully, he cuts in and interrupts and dismissed what we have to say. He has no clear direction of what the project must exactly aim at specifically and relies on our work to get a picture on what must be done. His opinions on our work are always subjective and change constantly making it difficult to set a clear path on what I should work on.

The only reason I've been withstanding and coping with this is because of his influence and status and also being one of the hardly findable MDes Graduates, and I thought getting a recommendation letter from him would be very influential when applying for grad school.

However these days it makes me doubt that he will write a promising letter as I expected. At the same time, I heard that a good recommendation letter from a graduate from the same department is quite powerful when it comes to applying for grad schools which makes me indecisive.

I'm curious how influential letters of recommendations are in the U.S and lost about how to proceed with this project.

Feb 23, 23 11:18 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: