Archinect
anchor

Applying for M.Arch without experience advice

greenbriar02

Hello, I'm looking to apply for a M.Arch (3 years) at some universities and would like to get some advice as my undergraduate major is not in architecture. I'll be graduating with a double major in Art History and Natural & Applied Sciences. I have a 3.91 GPA at the moment.

I have taken drawing and painting classes as part of my art history major, and have studied important works of architecture throughout the ages as well with it. 

Because of my second major, I've also taken Physics I & II, Calculus, Stats, etc. I'm not sure how important these are or what the admissions committee would be looking for. 

Any advice for the Statement of purpose and portfolio would be great! Thanks!

Feb 22, 23 11:28 am
Non Sequitur
  1. What schools are you looking at?  Admission requirements can vary depending on location and country
  2. What do you know about the practice of architecture and building design in general? Sidenote, why architecture anyways?
  3. Do you actually love designing and figuring out complicated shit no-one but architects care about?

With the obvious out of the way, your portfolio is expected to  be a representation of your creative skills and is not something you whip up over the course of a few months.  Most schools who accept non-arch students don't expect new applicants to know anything about architecture but they expect you to be able to communicate that you understand the fundamentals of design.  Sketching and painting is a good foundation but you need to be able to demonstrate how you think creatively as well.  Hundreds of similar discussions in this forum are available if you take 10seconds to search.

Besides that, remember that there is not a single architecture degree on the planet that is worth 30k or more per year so DO NOT take on debt for this and for fuck's sake, learn about what we do day to day before jumping into this space... again, 10seconds on research on the forum pages will help.

Feb 22, 23 11:37 am  · 
2  · 

For the United States: 

It's also important to understand that a degree in architecture does not make you an architect.  You'll need to do years of internships then pass exams before you are an architect.   

I strongly suggest you research on the process required to become an architect and understand the difference between an accredited and non-accredited degree.  The type of degree you have will have a heavy impact on how and where you can become an architect.  

Good luck. 

Feb 22, 23 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: