Archinect
anchor

M.Arch 1 Programs/School with Emphasis on Architectural Visualization

boy racer

Tried looking this up on the forum but couldn't find any history beyond some comments here-and-there. Which architecture schools/departments in the United States have a heavy emphasis on visualization, rendering, representation, and so on? I can think immediately of places such as SCI-Arc, but beyond that I'm not quite sure, perhaps UPenn and GSAPP?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Feb 15, 23 10:23 pm
otterworldly

GSAPP offers lots of Visual Studies classes which I think are rather interesting (perhaps not strictly architectural visualization, but "visual" on a broader sense). You can see the student works here: https://www.arch.columbia.edu/...

Feb 15, 23 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Thanks

Feb 16, 23 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

remember, there is far more to architecture than pressing the teapot button. You don’t need a $100k piece of paper to know how to make renderings so don’t let that be the focus of your studies. 

Feb 16, 23 7:43 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Maybe OP wants to be more of a paper artist than an architect - like what that "post digital" thread was discussing. You could stay in that world and back-scratch each other with exhibitions, monographs, lectures, and occasionally teaching studios if your friends also hang out professionally in academia. It's a viable path if the cards are played right - and the powers that be remain in charge of hiring. But it is risky if they catch the tail end of a passing academic fad and find themselves out of sync with the times as the kids move on to cooler vibes. Academia is its own planet.

It's the study of the study of architecture. A lot of navel gazing.

Feb 16, 23 8:44 am  · 
1  · 
otterworldly

Yes, unless you *really* want to pursue that, I second what Non Sequitur said. Youtube University does wonderful job in teaching visualization.

Feb 16, 23 9:33 am  · 
3  · 
boy racer

Interesting, but not what I asked

Feb 16, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It may not be what you asked, but it is the answer you need.

Feb 16, 23 12:25 pm  · 
2  · 
boy racer

I refuse to take you seriously

Feb 16, 23 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^because you’re unwilling to consider reasonable comments from other who are far more informed than you are?

Feb 16, 23 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Your Quora-esque and demeaning interrogations, obviously displaced forms of sorrow from a failed educational pathway, are lazy, pathetic, and cringe. As well as everyone else on here on the same route as you

Feb 16, 23 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Shame kids are so daft these days. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Feb 16, 23 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

nice Vray reference

Feb 16, 23 4:25 pm  · 
1  · 
kjpn

School isn’t the best or cheapest place to learn skills like this (practice is). School gives you the opportunity for design studios, networking and ‘academic inquiry’. I would reconsider your thinking but best of luck to you. 

Feb 16, 23 10:00 am  · 
 · 
boy racer

You didn't answer the question at all and instead chose to type out some measly critique, good job

Feb 16, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Everyone's telling you the same thing but you're not listening. To be fair, maybe you have the money and time to waste on this, but most of us don't. Take it for what it's worth. Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Feb 16, 23 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Never once did I imply that I was interested myself in these programs, in applying, so the comments remain entirely nonsensical. I

Feb 16, 23 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

You should consider giving up. If you want to focus on viz, why do you need a masters from an accredited university, let alone an architectural license? Maybe an MFA is more your speed.

Feb 16, 23 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Nice try, Non Sequitur alt-account

Feb 16, 23 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dawg, I only have time for one account here.

Feb 16, 23 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

I'll take that as a compliment. Boy racer, why do you want to do viz? Do you enjoy it or do you have some innate talent you want to polish?

Feb 16, 23 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

Trolling aside, UW Milwaukee has a decent viz/design focused program and doesn't cost as much as an ivy league.

Feb 16, 23 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
boy racer

Interesting, thank you

Feb 16, 23 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

Np fam

Feb 16, 23 5:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: