Archinect
anchor

Getting into the M.Arch 1 Program at Top Tier Universities

PT001

Dear all,

I am a current senior enrolled in an interior design program in New York and am currently thinking about applying to the M.Arch 1 program in a few years. 

My GPA is currently 3.51/4.0, which I would assume is a decent grade, but again, I don't know if it would be good enough to apply to top-tier architecture programs (e.g., Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, and so on). 

Of course, there are other variables that would measure the chances of a successful admission, and some of them (like the portfolio) will matter more than the numbers listed on the transcript. However, I am still posting this to hear your opinions about it.

Your responses will be very well appreciated. Have a good day, you all.

Feb 4, 23 4:02 pm
natematt

Most of these programs list their cutoff for GPA, and it varies. 

I'd suspect a 3.5 would be acceptable at pretty much any grad school for architecture. 

I suspect everyone will say the same thing that has been said for years, the portfolio is way more important though.

Feb 6, 23 2:35 am  · 
1  · 
YamanJH1

Still, the score is important and your score is good

Feb 6, 23 6:52 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Good enough*

Feb 6, 23 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Yeah, it probably just crosses the line. Keep in mind too the school that gave the GPA matters. A Pratt ID GPA probably counts for more than a community college's, in the eyes of admissions.

Feb 7, 23 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
woo-hoo

I got waitlisted by Yale M.Arch I. I personally think it's my portfolio that got me in, and my GPA dragged me down. My GPA is 75.9/100, from an Australian Bachelor's program. So that's slightly above the 2:1 degree line, which is tbh mediocre. So I reckon, yes if your GPA is too low, they wouldn't consider you at all. But a strong portfolio doesn't guarantee entries if your GPA is mediocre. So I'd say 3.7 is something that wouldn't be a disadvantage.

Feb 27, 23 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
woo-hoo

I'm not saying my portfolio is extremely good. But that's how I feel about it. All the alumni from my school that I know got into Yale had a First Class Honors degree (80+ GPA).

Feb 27, 23 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

70 was the minimum for consideration back in my days of grad school applications. Should have been 80, honestly.

Feb 27, 23 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: