Archinect
anchor

Book Recommendations

waterbottle

Does anyone have any book (or any other material) recommendations that explore architecture and cosmology? I'm working on the topic for my thesis but I'm stuck in the design execution because every iteration turns out to look like the Alchemist's tower from Prince of Persia.

Jan 31, 23 12:45 pm
Non Sequitur

What does architecture have to do with the origin of the universe?

Jan 31, 23 1:21 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Kinsbergen

You wouldn't be able to grasp it because you are not an architect. You are a technician who does Revit and CA.

Feb 1, 23 1:49 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Incorrect you peasant. Go sulk elsewhere, we’re not interested in your failures.

Feb 1, 23 6:05 am  · 
1  · 
Kinsbergen

It's a shame you went to school for 5 years, only to reduce yourself to being a technician. The problem must have been your attitude, and still is.

Feb 2, 23 2:50 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Small violin sounds for your career ambitions. You're just a sad and jealous person with no redeemable qualities. I'll stick to architecture, you stick to your delusions while wondering why everyone else is more successful, better compensated and happier than you.

Feb 2, 23 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Non-ASD - I thought you were technician who couldn't figure out how to detail anything.

Prove me wrong.  Let's see some of your design work.  

Feb 2, 23 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
architecturepinecone

I'm not sure but try these:

-The Timeless Way of Building by Christopher Alexander

-Cosmos Of Light The Sacred Architecture Of Le Corbusier

-The Harmonic Origins of the World

-The Symbolic Universe: Geometry and Physics

Jan 31, 23 1:42 pm  · 
3  · 
graphemic

A list of nouns from a lovely architecture history survey lecture on cosmos:

• Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (these are incredible)
  • Jaipur city plan
  • Claude-Nicolas Ledoux
  • Étienne-Louis Boullée
  • Beijing Ancient Observatory
  • Book of Rites
  • Kao Gong Ji
  • Forbidden City plan

From what I recall it outlined the relationship between astronomy, state power, and urban design in various centuries/regions.

Jan 31, 23 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 
waterbottle

Thank you! I love Jantar Mantar, it was definitely ahead of its time.

Feb 1, 23 2:16 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

God is the original Architect, big bang boom!

Jan 31, 23 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Not a book that combines architecture and cosmology but still worth a read as I think it could be helpful for your thesis topic.  

The Cosmic Web:  Mysterious Architecture of the Universe by J. Richard Gott.  

Feb 2, 23 3:27 pm  · 
3  · 

Stiff by Mary Roach. It’s about how we all go back to being dirt eventually. As all architecture will do eventually too.

Feb 2, 23 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
graphemic

I'm curious, OP: how are you defining cosmology?

Feb 2, 23 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Honestly I'm still trying to navigate through it. I was originally inspired by ancient civilizations and how they were in tune with the cosmos, which either informed spatial sensibilities or created certain geometries, and explore that in the light of all we know today, but after extensive research and design iterations I'm realizing that its hard to manifest a very vast concept like this physically and if my thesis made more sense if I explored the connection with astronomy after all (since that offers some sort of tangibility). I'm sorry if this sounds dumb or doesn't make sense.

Feb 3, 23 7:30 am  · 
 · 
kjpn

have you determined a program and site for your building or project? I think you should identify that and it will help propel your process forward.

Feb 3, 23 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

an implied general/vague connection is not a thesis.

Feb 3, 23 11:12 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Beauty Memory Unity: A Theory of Proportion in Architecture, by Steve Bass

https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Memory-Unity-Proportion-Architecture/dp/1584209674

Feb 3, 23 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: