Archinect
anchor

Non-background M.Arch

nataliefang

Hi Forum! I am a junior at a U.S. university studying math. I am super interested in architecture and want to go into architecture graduate school. The dream is GSD March I because I love Boston and like GSD's style the most. 

Does anyone know any non-background students who got into GSD architecture? I'd love to hear about your experience and get any and all advice for current students or professionals. Thanks in advance. 

Jan 16, 23 5:47 pm
monosierra

About 3 or 4 out of 10 per batch are from non-arch backgrounds. For the most part, admissions make a point of assembling a class with a range of backgrounds. You'd have math graduates alongside English majors and former bankers, sculptors, pharmacists, journalists - the works.

They all showcased their unique backgrounds and expertise in their portfolios/applications. Everyone brings something fresh to the table, besides the requisite basic art and design skills - a good eye as evidenced in your portfolio, intellectual curiosity befitting Harvard's graduate schools, some semblance of design aptitude, the ability to put things together, an idea of communication skills (visual and written) ...

Worth noting that more folks from non-arch backgrounds do drop out, when they find out that design school is far from what they'd envisioned. For some with a strong quantitative or rigorous academic background, what passes off as theory and research in M.Arch seemed unworthy of their time and they quit. But most finished, and a couple even became the best designers of their cohort.

Jan 16, 23 9:15 pm  · 
1  · 
nataliefang

Thanks for the insight and advice :)

Jan 30, 23 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I'm a fossil but pretty sure the system hasn't changed much

3 background buckets

-architecture 

-fine arts 

-other

Portfolio is by far most important, even for those in the 'other' bucket.  They will make a decision on your port probably within 15-30 sec so need to be aggressive in design intent (it can look very raw, more important it looks visually compelling) and not worry about looking like a seasoned architect.

Feb 1, 23 12:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: