Archinect
anchor

Should I not include my race on my application?

McRuskerio

My husband is (almost) an architect who sort of regrets his profession. He suggested looking into Fine Arts programs instead of Architecture programs because I am on the fence regarding the career path I should take. Upon doing some research into different leading Master programs in the arts, they all seem to be extremely left leaning -to the point where I feel that if I don't include race into my portfolio, I won't be accepted anywhere. My work does focus on poverty and a bit of sustainability, but I don't think that I should even need to justify this. 

I consider myself socially liberal but articles I am reading on these universities show that they are basically social justice programs. Moreso, I am just not seeing breathtaking artwork being done at Yale. Like Van Gogh would only have a chance at Yale MFA if he included a painting of Obama in his portfolio and this is not even me trying to be funny. There were protests because most of the faculty is white, but most of the country is white. I know from a Summer program I did at GSAPP is that most of the faculty was diverse in some way. There were protests at GSD because MDes includes fewer areas of study, and this was somehow turned into a race issue because students only have like 5 topics to choose from -still including race, privilege and gender. A quote I read on I-D was "These artists have taken a magnifying glass to complex issues like race and sexuality, making the art world a little less white and boring." Isn't this racist! Pragmatically, should I leave my race out of the application if I ever apply to a program like this? 

Jan 9, 23 8:20 pm
natematt

First, this is an architecture forum, not an Art forum. Asking about art schools here is probably not that helpful.

Why do you even want to do art? I’d say it’s a much more difficult profession than architecture…

Anyway, If your race has nothing to do with the context for your overarching artistic interests, then why would you include it? If it does, then why wouldn’t you? Are there other elements of your life that build context for your interests? If you are out there talking about poverty you should probably have some reason if you want people to take you seriously, or at least have in-depth knowledge and ability to present it intellectually.

You sound way to resentful about this for someone who doesn’t seem to have much of a background, and who hasn’t even tried applying and failed. What is the Obama reference about, that sounds really petty and specific? Van Gough was famously ill received during his life, the style of his work was not liked, maybe keep that in mind as to how work you see now may be perceived over time. Art as an institution and profession has also changed dramatically.

If you just want to make some pretty pictures, there are plenty of programs out there that will be willing to cash your check. 

Jan 9, 23 11:11 pm  · 
1  · 

McRuskerio wrote: 

"My husband is (almost) an architect who sort of regrets his profession. He suggested looking into Fine Arts programs instead of Architecture programs because I am on the fence regarding the career path I should take."

This is an architectural forum so yo many not get a lot of info regarding Fine Arts programs. 

"A quote I read on I-D was "These artists have taken a magnifying glass to complex issues like race and sexuality, making the art world a little less white and boring." Isn't this racist! "

It's not racist at all.  

Jan 10, 23 10:22 am  · 
2  · 
x-jla

Sure you aren’t Native American?  Elizabeth Warren had a great great uncle who was decent at archery, and that was enough for her to get in.  

Jan 10, 23 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

I know full blooded Native Americans who aren't considered as such because they aren't accepted by the arbitrary standards of the tribe(s) they should belong to.

Jan 10, 23 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: