Archinect
anchor

European Vacation!

OddArchitect

My partner and I have decided to finally return to Europe for a vacation!

It only took us 15 years to do so.  :S

This May we'll be visiting Prague, Budapest, and Vienna.  We'll be spending 4-5 days in each city.  Obviously we've been researching what to see and do in each destination but would like some advice.  

I'm wondering if people here have been to any of these areas and if so what would recommend checking out?  A 'must see' type of thing.  This doesn't have to be related to architecture.

Thanks!  

Dec 12, 22 12:35 pm
Kinsbergen

Do your own research instead of crowdsourcing opinions online in a lazy way. 

Dec 12, 22 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

If you're gonna troll . . . 

Dec 12, 22 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Thumbs up for having a vacation and wish you the best. I'd stay clear of Ukraine area a good distance for obvious reasons. I can't give you a good suggestion on places to check out but just keep your eyes on what Putin may target beyond Ukraine if things go well you get the idea. I think you'll be fine so wish you both a safe and enjoyable vacation.

Dec 14, 22 3:39 am  · 
1  · 
justavisual

Ice cream at Zanoni & Zanoni in Vienna and eat a Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel. In Prague - eat at Lokaal and walk around Nový Svět  (new world) and stop by Romantický Hotel U Raka for a drink. Eat at Cafe Imperial.

Dec 13, 22 4:10 am  · 
1  · 
RJ87

I did Budapest - Vienna - Prague with trains in between back in Spring 2016, it's pretty. Off the top of my head (with checked spelling via google):

Budapest- Szimpla Kert is a cool bar at night, castle hill, we took a tour of their parliament building. Really run down ride from the airport into the city, even by Eastern European standards.

Vienna- Figlmuller if you're into schnitzel. Schonbrunn Palace / Gardens. Show at their National Opera House (we saw the National Austrian Philharmonic). 

Prague- Honestly I think I was drunk for most of it. We went to the castle & some churches. Mostly ate & drank, don't remember doing that much but we weren't there long.

My whole trip was a week (SPRING BREAK WOO) while I was studying abroad, sounds like you'll have a lot more time to enjoy & explore.

Dec 13, 22 10:26 am  · 
1  · 

I plan on being drunk for most of the vacation.

Dec 14, 22 1:36 pm  · 
2  · 
justavisual

make sure to drink tank Pilsner Urquell in Prague

Dec 14, 22 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
RJ87

Chad- Everything in Europe looks better with a couple of drinks in your system & you can't convince me otherwise.

Dec 14, 22 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 

I'd agree with RJ87.  Even I get more attractive if you've been drinking and that says a lot.  

Dec 14, 22 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

I've been to any of these (mostly UK, france, spain, italy), but I always like going to foreign grocery stores because it's kind of cool to get that local perspective and try new food. It can also be cheaper than some street food or fine dining. France had really good yogurt in small blue ceramic cups, we ate enough to assemble a small set and took them back with us.

Dec 13, 22 10:50 am  · 
2  · 
ill_will

*I haven't been to any of these

Dec 13, 22 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Congrats! I'm on my last full day of a week in Mexico, my first week off in 16 years. I don't intend for another 16 years to go by before doing it again. Have a great time!

Dec 13, 22 5:08 pm  · 
4  · 
justavisual

Please go on holiday at least once a year - its really important for mental health. Europeans would be shocked by this - even just sitting on a campsite near home for a cheap getaway is better than nothing at all!

Dec 14, 22 3:04 am  · 
4  · 

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Dec 14, 22 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: