Archinect
anchor

PLEASE HELP! Interior Architecture student changing to Architecture (Australia)

Interior/Architecture

Hello

I would love any and all advice please and thank you. 

I am considering switching to Architecture to finish my degree, for the reasons stated below (Please do not feel the need to read my career crisis) this segment.

I'm a 29 year old student in Australia. I have done 2 years of an Interior Architecture degree. My degree is set up with many crossover subjects between Architecture and Interior Architecture. In my two years I have done almost 2 semesters worth of Architecture subjects. I could complete the rest in nearly the same amount of time as it would take me to complete my Interior Architecture degree.

The question that is rattling in my brain is this:

Could I complete a Bachelor of Architecture and decide then if I want to pursue Interiors or go on to my Masters and Registration?

I know many would say that to pursue Architecture you must be committing 110% as of yesterday. My history is steeped in built design, and I have always wanted to pursue a career in the built environment, so please read the following so you can understand my circumstances.

I know it is not a conventional path proposed, but I am nearly 30 years old, I have had an entire career in the Film Industry. I want to be smart, and give myself as many possibilities as I can from this degree. The idea of having the choice, after spending so much time and money at University is liberating beyond words. Whenever I think of having to choose Interiors right now, my heart skips a beat. 

I have heard many people in Interiors come from a background in Architecture, so:

Is this background I am creating for myself a good idea? If I do end up working in Interiors, will people in the industry look at me as someone who just didn't get their registration? Or will they understand? 

Has anyone had any experience like this, or know of people who have?

What I'm really hoping for is a: Heck yeah! Great plan! 

But any advice, any pointers would be so appreciated.

Reasons for My Career Crisis:

I love Interiors, but I do not know if my values align with the type of work I see is prevalent in Interiors. 

I know us designers work for the uber rich most of the time, but my stomach flips at the idea of designing elite residential and commercial spaces for the rest of my life.

I want to be a part of making positive changes to our urban environment. I want to work on social housing and community projects. 

The firms that I have researched, that I admire and aspire to work at, are predominantly architecture firms, not multidisciplinary. The ones that are multidisciplinary employ a very small interiors team, a lot of them have a single Senior Interior Designer.

I come from a Set Design (film) background of 6+ years. I got out of the film industry because although it is so fun, it is extremely wasteful and destructive (anti-sustainability).

100's of plastic water bottles thrown into landfill a day, sets ripped down and thrown out only to have to rebuild a replica a couple of weeks later, truck loads of discarded set dressings chucked out - the list goes on. 

I don't want to make the same mistake, going for interiors because it is fun and I'm good at it, but realising that I am just feeding the beast once again. 

When I started my course I initially applied for Architecture and was accepted. But then I freaked myself out, told myself I wouldn't be good enough and went for Interior Architecture. I guess a part of me still feels this way, but I am also old enough to know that that is mostly just BS negative self talk. I am competent, I am incredibly creative, I love problem solving, I enjoy administrative roles, I have always had a passion for design and the built environment, I can sharpen my weaknesses and hone my vast array of skills and strengths.

Nov 17, 22 7:46 pm
*your name

Heck yeah! Great plan!
You can be both if you study architecture and get your license! 

Nov 17, 22 8:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Interior/Architecture

haha awesome thank you for your reply!

Nov 18, 22 6:28 am  · 
 · 
luvu

You can always do interior with arch degree , not the other way round though. 

That’s my answer for your dilemma.  

Nov 18, 22 6:27 am  · 
1  · 
Interior/Architecture

Yep totally. Thank you!

Nov 18, 22 6:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: