Archinect
anchor

Confused and stumped

Rosetincture

So I’m a second year on my way to completing my associates degree at a community college. I was sure I would graduate by spring 2023, and have started out filling my university applications. But… found out I won’t be graduating until next year (spring 2024).

I’m currently dead set on going to Cal Poly (Pomona) but my parents told me it’ll be a waste of time and money—because “there’s no guarantee I would get in.” Also, that “I’d have to spend an additional year fulfilling the transfer requirements.” 

At the Newschool of architecture, my spot is more or less guaranteed and I’ll be able to transfer there earlier. And if I graduate quicker, I’ll also be able to get work experience quicker.

Should I spend another year at the community college (so that I can apply to potentially more universities like Pomona, SLO, Sci-arc, Berkeley and UCLA?) or just go to Newschool?

I don’t think 3 years is a lot of time, because you can always apply for placement. But my parents are insisting I shouldn’t bother with the more “prestigious” universities. I’m not sure what to do?

Oct 8, 22 11:53 am
mrcutout

I don't think you need to rush into anything at this stage of life. IMO, life is all about experience, and those more prestigious schools are more likely to excite you and offer you more opportunities. If it offers more to you, 1 year or 2 doesn't matter that much in comparison to the span of your life.

Oct 8, 22 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 
jeromemorleylarsonsr.

Architecture is absurdly simple, the design of space for people; with a single  RULE:A that binocular humans assign an axis to every space and to every piece of stuff that defines that space— keeping these in balance will create places that users will pay more than the cost to build for their use in a normal market = good architecture = good profit = happy client = fee paid = subsist. BUT: putting all the parts together, keeping the water out, complying with all the safety codes etc is immensely complex but no mystery, so all programs teach the same thing (door swings, stair heights, insulation, etc) — prestigeous schools teach such things as how does a wall want to feel; which has nothing to do with anything except make them prestige (it took me twenty years to unlearn Cornell and to learn the RULE) — so save your time and money; learn everything you can about nuts and bolts — the first time you see something you have designed will shock you into the world of design for feeling — it must be learned by doing — since a building takes years between concept and reality, a lifetime to master — an enjoyable, satisfying lifetime.

Oct 13, 22 1:09 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

The 2 Cal Polys are hands-down the best bang for your buck in Architectural education if you'll be paying CA resident fees (and even for quite a lot of out-of-staters).

Don't assume that the counsellors at your JC or your parents actually know what will be required to transfer, nor that you can figure it out for yourself from the schools' catalogs or web sites - call or visit the schools and ASK what you should or shouldn't be taking at your JC to prepare for transfer.

Oct 14, 22 4:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: