Archinect
anchor

Need some opinions regarding masters

dying

Hey guys!

I've reached that point in my life where I have to make some decisions that need to be good cause they'll determine a lot of things. 

Firstly, I'm an undergraduate student from India and am in my final year. I really want to pursue a master's degree abroad after this. So I will need to choose a university, a city and also a course.

So, for the country, I'm thinking of the Uk or USA. I need to know what the prospects are in these countries for an architecture postgraduate. Prospects in terms of money ( My family would require my financial support) and opportunities. 

Next, I have a decent research background. And this pertains to urban design, planning and issues. So an obvious course would be urban design or urban planning. But I'm really worried about life after the course. Would I be able to make enough money? Would there be good job opportunities for me? 

The other option I have is to do an M Arch degree. And get registered as an architect. But I have read that it is a really complicated process in the UK. hence I'm in a dilemma. 

If you could any advice or any information/ resources for me I'd be really grateful. I desperately need some guidance. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for reading and helping out!!!

Sep 28, 22 3:09 pm
Non Sequitur

"I have a decent research background"

Yet, does no basic research and decides to ask random anonymous wankers online for help with serious adult decisions.

Job opportunities vary greatly and who knows where economies will be by the time you graduate.  What you should focus on is getting work experience first so you at least know what to expect.  Job options and compensation will always be dependant on what you can produce for your employer (and clients) anyways so do no go into massive debt chasing an international degree in architecture thinking it's a wise investment.

Sep 28, 22 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

What school is your undergrad from and what type of degree with you have? This can be important as not all of your schooling may transfer.  This would mean you'd not be able to jump right into a program in the US or UK.  

What country to do you want to practice in?  UK and American licenses are not recognized by each other.  

Are you able to get a BArch degree in the US?  That is all you need to be able to become an architect here.  The internship and testing is exactly the same if you have a BArch or MArch

Urban design is a very specialized field with few firms that do such work.  As such your job prospects are going to be less than in architecture. 

As for pay in the US - the American Institute of Architects has a lot of info on this.  Keep in mind that the cost of living in the US will vary greatly depending on where you live.  For example in New York City it's not uncommon for a fresh grad to make $60-$70k a year.  Where I live in Colorado the pay range for the same fresh grad is $35 - $45k.  The latter pay range would allow someone to own a good used car, have a small apartment all to themselves, and still have discretionary spending.  The pay in NYC would require you to have roomates, no car, and little to no discretionary spending.  

Sep 28, 22 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: