Archinect
anchor

Is an Architecture Summer Prep Course Worth the Cost?

Jnb12

Hi all! First-time poster here! Ive looked through countless forum threads but haven't found anyone in a similar situation as me. Im planning on applying to east coast M.arch I programs next year and was wondering if a summer prep course would be worth the cost, in my situation, or if I should look into something else, like some more affordable online drawing courses?

Disclaimer: I know M.arch programs are expensive, which is why I would ofc like to save as much as possible before actually attending. 

Some background: For my undergraduate degrees, one will be in Public Policy and the other in Urban Design and Architecture Studies, which is more of a history and analysis of architecture and cities in history/modern day type of major rather than a formal architecture undergraduate degree. I took the one "drawing" course available where we had four projects that I will try to explain as simply as possible:

• Project 1: we were given a choice between 4 small household items and were tasked to measure and draw orthographic drawings of the object true to size: plan, plan cut, front and side elevations, and a section. I chose a pair of fiskars scissors.
  • Project 2: we were given a choice between 4 Rietveld chairs and were tasked to create a scaled (1-1/2” = 1’-0) wooden model and orthographic drawings (the same ones mentioned above) plus one axonometric drawing (plan oblique). I chose the Steltman chair.
  • Project 3: we were tasked with creating 4 diagrams and collages (mine were digital) based off of the Rietveld chair we chose for project 2, one diagram+collage for each of these concepts: structural, social-cultural, ergonomic, figure-ground.
  • Project 4: It's might help to just put the project instructions verbatim:"Assemble a 3-dimensional environment within your 9 square matrix that translates the formal and spatial atmosphere represented in your collages and diagrams into an architectural language consisting of points, lines, planes and volumes." Basically, we chose a one of the concepts from project 3 and created an abstract 3-d representation of it inside the 9-square grid hollow matrix cube, then we drew orthographic drawings again.

While the course did not have us draw any actual buildings, it was supposed to teach us some of the basics of model making, the design process, and architectural drawing (their words, not mine).

My question (I feel like I know the answer but it's worth a shot asking anyways): given my current skill level (which is not much) would it be suffice for me to just create more models and drawings (of different things ofc) to fill my portfolio, along with sketches and maybe photography (iffy on this one)? Or am I screwed without a summer prep course? If so, please leave your recommendations (online programs if its outside of the tri-state area)

Additional thought: I haven't seen many portfolios on here with non digital models in them. Is there a reason for that?

Thank you!!

Sep 27, 22 9:43 pm
sameolddoctor

No. Nothing in architecture is worth the cost. If you are questioning the cost proposition of this course, you will be questioning a lot coming out of architecture, at least for a while...

Sep 28, 22 1:10 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I presume you're talking about a 3 year MArch program that is designed as a first professional degree. "MArch I" does not have a set description and can man different things for different schools.

If that is the case, then these programs are generally intended for people without an architecture background, and should do a reasonable job of getting you up to speed on modeling, etc. So if money is a concern, don't waste it on summer school.

Sep 28, 22 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Jnb12

Hi!! Yes, I am talking about a 3 year M.Arch program. Apologies for not clarifying, all of the schools I have looked into simply referred to their programs as M.Arch I for applicants entering without a B.Arch. Thank you for your advice!!

Sep 28, 22 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Most summer discovery programs are money-grabs by the schools.  The idea that doing one at a particular school will help you get in there is very much an iffy proposition.  

It looks like you are doing a lot of the right things already.  To thicken up your portfolio, maybe do an independent study with your drawing teacher in the spring or take a studio art course in drawing, sculpture, or 2d design if you have access to those.   A part time job at at architect's office might be nice also.

Sep 28, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

Hi!! Thank you so much for your reply! I have also come to the conclusion that the summer programs are money grabs, especially looking at Columbia's GSD GSAPP Intro to Architecture haha.

Sep 28, 22 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

My reply got cut off haha.

Sep 28, 22 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

I was saying that I am planning on taking another drawing course in the spring--from the course description, this one is fully centered on buildings and urban cities--so thank you for reminding me because I forgot to mention it in my original post!

As for the part-time job/internship, the ones I have found on HandShake (my undergrad promotes this website so that is where I was originally looking on) require you to be currently pursuing a B.arch or to have some experience working with Revit, AutoCad, Rhino etc. If you have any suggestions for other websites I should look on, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you again for your advice!!

Sep 28, 22 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
gual

- They are helpful if you have a thin portfolio, have the money, are low on ideas and low on time. And there's no shame in being in that position. But if you have the time and are self-motivated you can do these types of projects without going to the discovery program. You can literally skim portfolios and devise your own 'brief' and do it yourself. This is what I did -- the portfolio was an excuse to pursue some projects I'd had in the back of my mind for a while. I built a lamp, i did some cubist-type paintings, etc...

- Admissions people love physical models, I wouldn't shy away from doing more of that if you like doing it.

Sep 28, 22 5:25 pm  · 
1  · 
Jnb12

Hi!! Thank you so much for your advice! I was also thinking of working on some self-motivated, individual projects as an alternative to a summer prep course! I do have a lot of wood and supplies left over from my drawing class this past spring.

Sep 28, 22 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

My reply was cut off again haha, I'll get used to this website hopefully soon!

Sep 28, 22 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

I was saying that it is reassuring to hear that physical models are loved! I was under the impression that they were but became confused when I saw the portfolios on here without any. I am considering adding a themed series of sketches, and perhaps a physical collage and photography if it does not end up looking amateurish ofc. Do you have any suggestions on other materials/mediums I should become familiar with or should include in my portfolio? I am not sure if there will be too much wood. (For reference, the chair model and the frame of the matrix cube is made of wood, and the design volume inside the matrix cube is made of wood, news board, and a black poster board type of material.) If not, your advice has already been more than enough help, so thank you very much!!

Sep 28, 22 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Jnb12

Sorry, I'll get used to this website hopefully soon haha

Sep 28, 22 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Below is a list from Summer 2022 of the many Architecture Summer Programs; while most are targeted to high school students, some are for college graduates.

An updated list for 2023 will be available in early January.

https://www.archcareersguide.c...

Oct 6, 22 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: