Archinect
anchor

What are the chances for international students to get financial aid in these schools?

waterbottle

I'm currently in my fifth year of architecture, and I want to go for a masters after graduation. I'm currently at a 3.7 GPA, and I've worked with a couple of firms, but they're all community-based practices and not big corporate firms. The projects I've mostly focused on school are related to the vernacular, because I was considering doing a masters in historic preservation if not architecture. Outside of school I'm currently working in research and taking a year of an external design studio to learn traditional design and structural techniques. 

The problem is that I absolutely not afford to pay graduate school fees. I was pretty optimistic about financial aid but after reading most threads I'm starting to worry if I'll get accepted anywhere at all. 

After doing substantial research about the programs I want to go into, I've shortlisted the following universities (in no particular order):

Politecnico di Milano, TU Berlin, UPenn (for the preservation program), UPC Barcelona, Sci Arc, Aalto and I'll apply to GSD for the hell of it.

I know these options seem radically different but they all have a program I'm interested in and would really love to go to. Should I apply to these schools? I want to know if there's a shot (and not pay so many application fees if there isn't). Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 26, 22 1:11 pm
Non Sequitur

please remember that there is no architecture degree worth 100k in student debt... none.  Only apply/accept places that you can reasonably afford and stop telling yourself that an expensive degree in architecture is an investment.  It is not.  never was.  never will be. 

Aug 26, 22 2:18 pm  · 
5  · 
waterbottle

I suppose you're right. I really dont want a lot of debt

Aug 27, 22 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

how much debt is an architecture degree worth non? I hear you say 100k is too much too often. 30k?

Sep 6, 22 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

USD10k per year is a tolerable amount.

Sep 6, 22 9:31 am  · 
 · 
waterbottle

Is there a cap on the amount you recieve?

Sep 6, 22 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

The cap is whatever the university offers you. The point here is do not take on excessive debt chasing a architecture degree. You cannot reasonably pay back 100k loans while working junior/intern jobs in this field.

Sep 6, 22 10:32 am  · 
2  · 
facelvega

The European ones don't usually have financial aid for foreign students but tend to have cheaper tuition. They will also tend to have way worse student to faculty ratios and not be the same kind of experience. The US ones have money for some students including international students. They will offer this to the best applications first and then run out of money before everyone gets some. If your portfolio is mature and you have enthusiastic recommendations, you have a chance to get at least some money. Good luck.

Sep 3, 22 1:16 pm  · 
1  · 
waterbottle

Thank you!

Sep 6, 22 7:16 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

I would not get a preservation masters. These programs can be limiting if you want to be licensed or eventually work in new construction. Get an MArch with a preservation certificate. You’ll have an MArch which makes licensure easier but with some preservation background. Preservation degrees are very expensive (see Columbia and Penn - two of the best pres programs out there) and the jobs those degrees lead to are often low-paying especially in the beginning.

Sep 7, 22 12:36 pm  · 
1  · 
waterbottle

Thank you!

Sep 14, 22 11:57 am  · 
 · 
sabrinajohansson

There are many programs in the EU which are free if you know local language. It's a good option as well

Apr 10, 23 3:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: