Archinect
anchor

Applying to M Arch without a Bachelor's in Architecture

Daneya

Hi,

I want to pursue an M Arch; I'm a chemistry major and have no art background. What online courses should I take to develop my art skills and what skills should I develop to make a good portfolio? Also, are there any extra curriculars that would look good on my application?  Is there anyone here who applied for M Arch without architecture in undergrad, if so, what advice would you give to make a good application? 

Aug 12, 22 5:30 pm
Non Sequitur

why architecture?

Aug 12, 22 6:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Daneya

The short version is that my life experience led me to the conclusion that this combines personal interest and passion while still fitting the kind of professional setting I want to work in and the work itself, while a huge commitment and not easy, will be fulfilling.

Fair question though, if I can't articulate well enough why I want to go, no one's going to give me a chance. 

Aug 14, 22 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Portfolio usually matters most - take art classes, sure, but also just do anything creative: like sketching, photography, woodworking, sculpting, etc. If you can use chemistry knowledge to make some superb material-shape-thing, even better!

Aug 13, 22 12:48 am  · 
1  · 
Daneya

Thank you for responding! I was thinking about combining my knowledge from materials and environmental chemistry for some of my pieces.

Aug 14, 22 6:20 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

And seconded, why architecture?

Aug 13, 22 12:48 am  · 
1  · 
monosierra

Plenty of people do it, and as others have pointed out above - articulating why architecture is the second most important thing you have to do in your application.

Show off what unique thinking and making you bring to the class. Admissions love weird backgrounds like your's but you still have to prove that you have the basic skills to hit the ground running in M.Arch - Namely, the ability to think in 3D, interest and experience in making things, and evidence of your creative instincts at work.

Aug 13, 22 5:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Daneya

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I agree with what you said, I really need to figure out how to convey my interest while backing it up with proof that I have the basic skills to succeed.

Aug 14, 22 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: