Archinect
anchor

Generous schools

Kathrina

Greetings, everyone!

Is there anything you can advise me based on your experience? For a master's degree in architecture, which graduate schools offer the most generous financial aid packages (e.g. assistantships, TA positions with tuition waivers, healthcare, monthly stipends, etc.)?
It is also important to consider the low cost of living when considering a city to live in.

Aug 9, 22 12:41 pm
diospyrosvirginiana

Use numbeo.com, specifically the "Cost of Living PLUS Rent Index" for objective comparisons of cost of living/quality of life.  In short, the US isn't the wonderland we were told.

Aug 9, 22 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

I appreciate your helpful suggestion. It was a really cool website. In this economy, we are all struggling to survive. But, in short, the US is still the wonderland we were told. XOXO

Aug 11, 22 2:38 am  · 
 · 
Kathrina

Any other advice?

Aug 11, 22 2:37 am  · 
 · 
Aria_

There is nothing worse than living in an expensive city. Your opportunities are destroyed by them.

Aug 16, 22 10:48 pm  · 
1  ·  1
proto

Basic economics here. Apply where no one wants to go (ie, consider smaller, lesser-known programs). The name programs have plenty of applicants to choose from. They have no need to incentivize top talent.

Privates will have more leeway to negotiate on tuition/fees (since they are artificially inflated anyway).

Aug 17, 22 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. In this regard, which schools would you recommend specifically?

Aug 17, 22 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I don't know you, your education, skills or finances. The best I can do is a general answer. Good luck with your search

Aug 17, 22 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

You're right, that's true. I have a bachelor's degree in architecture and a master's degree in urban planning ( Oh my God! I feel stupid for this one. I urge everyone not to pursue a career in urban planning). NJIT, University of Washington in St. Louis , University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, NDSU, and University of Minnesota are now in my list. Texas and Arizona don't interest me for a variety of reasons. I have worked as a junior and concept designer for a couple of years. As a CGI artist and a computer geek, I spent quite a bit of time glued to my monitors.

Aug 17, 22 4:30 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Really good professors at UMN, cost of living is good. NJIT, I don't know who is there now, but it's proximity to NYC is the most attractive, and probably get a good amount of funding. UW at St Louis is great! NDSU is a big no. Milwaukee is fine, like NJIT I imagine.

Aug 17, 22 5:32 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

Thanks a lot, you seem familiar with many schools, including NDSU. Is NDSU really so bad? Which schools are your top choices in terms of affordability, quality of education, generosity of the school, and affordability of cities?

Aug 17, 22 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
  1. NDSU, is not good. You're far from everything, instructors are meh, bleh.
  2. NJIT affordable, decent profs, 15 minutes to NYC, affordable city...maybe.
  3. UMN, good programs, profs, questionable affordability, cost of living great - a lot of options.
  4. UW at St. Louis, always heard good things.
Aug 17, 22 11:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. Oh my God, I need to sleep right now. I may be tired and sleepy but I added Roger Williams University, Ball State University, and probably the Illinois Institute of Technology or University of Michigan to my list.

Aug 18, 22 5:39 am  · 
 · 

I'm bummed to hear that NDSU is not good anymore. Back when I graduated in 2002 it was a great school with profs that had real world experience. :(

Aug 18, 22 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

Hello. Personally, I think the student's efforts to practice and learn architecture in a self-directed way are far more important than the school's formal training. There are many ways to learn architecture, and I am not downgrading the value of solid and good schools. It should be enough for schools to provide the very basics of education. As a result, you can consider all schools to be decent ones. However, my main concern is affordability.

Aug 18, 22 11:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Chad, you know what soured me on the program? When I visited in 2007/08 they had a studio dedicated to skyscraper design, in ND. Why? I like Fargo downtown well enough, but damn it's so far away.

Aug 18, 22 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 

When I was at NDSU we had a studio project that was a skyscraper. It was a great project type to learn about. The studio project was located in Ontario though.

Aug 18, 22 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Kathrina

Before Chad's last comment, I wondered if he had such a studio and was happy with it. Can you guess what happened next:))? It is a big fat challenge to design skyscrapers. These studios are useful for the sake of learning. Personally, I dislike them, not to mention that they are not our best options in cities.

Aug 18, 22 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

I found the studio very informative and I learned quite a bit that was beneficial in many other project types. One of the things I learned is that I don't like skyscrapers and don't want to ever design them. ;)

Aug 18, 22 3:54 pm  · 
1  · 
drinks_at_avec

Princeton gives a full ride to all arch grad students

Aug 19, 22 12:32 pm  · 
2  · 

Ha!

Aug 19, 22 12:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

Is that so? I don't know, but when you hear the name Princeton, you don't immediately associate affordability with it in your brain.

Aug 19, 22 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
drinks_at_avec

it's a hedge fund with a school attached to it. One of my interns is a grad student there.

Aug 20, 22 11:20 pm  · 
1  · 
autofireunit

some only get half ride. (My friend). But everyone do get a lot of money

Aug 31, 22 12:29 am  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

Do you recommend hedge funds?

Aug 31, 22 1:17 am  · 
 · 
Aria_

I don't understand why no one suggests University of North Carolina at Charlotte

Aug 20, 22 9:20 pm  · 
1  · 
I_DJ

Texas and Arizona were omitted from your list for what reason?

Aug 22, 22 9:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Aria_

Also take a look at Pratt

Aug 23, 22 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Matilda

There is nowhere generous enough

Aug 24, 22 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
derek00

Use the Cost of Living PLUS Rent Index as a colleague wrote above for me it was the best it used to be I used it now I don't need it anymore

Aug 25, 22 2:39 am  · 
1  · 
Kathrina

What universities did you choose to apply based on that Index?

Aug 25, 22 9:47 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Princeton - free but when you have to sign a contract saying you will only wear black for the rest of your life

MIT - may still be sitting on pile of money from old military contracts.  They offer some large merit based scholarships

Harvard - if you are poor/ not getting help from parents, pretty decent grant support

Aug 25, 22 11:57 am  · 
 · 
I_DJ

Back in school, some teachers taught us the importance of reading questions carefully and attentively. However, it seems that many people don't bother to even read the questions.

Aug 26, 22 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Kathrina

Are hedge funds good?

Aug 31, 22 1:15 am  · 
 · 
MinArch

Oh wow! Our backgrounds are pretty similar. Currently, I am preparing my portfolio, but I am very disappointed when thinking about money. There is no such thing as a school. Together, let's be sad :(

Sep 6, 22 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: