Archinect
anchor

Why Canada Architect Membership Fee is THAT expensive?

sleepearlier

Architect OAA:  CAD 1,019.00
Architect AIBC:  CAD 937.00

For Engineer in Canada:
PEO:  CAD 265.00
EGBC:  CAD 460.00

For Architect in UK:  GBP 149  (~232CAD)

For Architect in Australia : 
Member Level 1 : AUD 950
Member Level 2 : AUD 665 (with less rights and benefits)

For Architect in US:
New York State : USD 377 (~482CAD)

Jul 29, 22 10:52 pm
Non Sequitur

It's more in Quebec... I have both OAA and OAQ licenses + MRAIC.  I think it adds up to about 3k CAD per year.

Can't say much about other countries, but you get a lot of services for 1k/year with the OAA. It's not that much money for those who's job actually pays them to use their stamp.

Jul 29, 22 11:11 pm  · 
1  · 
sleepearlier

true for OAA Architects who run their own business to receive high fee from client directly. but as an employee, it is quite expensive in terms of the salary. tho i know some offices have benefit to reimburse the membership fee

Jul 30, 22 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Most offices cover the dues for full time licensed staff but even if they don't, 1k/yr is not that much for the average licensed arch's income in canada...

Jul 30, 22 12:10 am  · 
 · 
SiameseDream

@sleepearlier 
I pay 305$ AUD  for an annual fee ( individual) .... not sure where you get those numbers from.

Jul 31, 22 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
sleepearlier

im not from AUS and just quickly searched online. sorry about that.
https://www.architecture.com.au/membership/architect

Aug 2, 22 8:21 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Wait until you find out about insurance!

Aug 1, 22 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 
sleepearlier

what insurance are you referring to?

Aug 2, 22 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You are required to carry insurance to practice architecture. The annual dues are only professional registration. It's more $ if you also want a stamp and use it... but insurance $ is paid for by the office, not the individual (unless they are sole-practitioners)

Aug 2, 22 8:56 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My personal license: $1000

Aug 2, 22 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

My firm's annual insurance premium? Take that number and multiply it by just over 100.

Aug 2, 22 8:28 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Don’t forget the 10k deductible.

Aug 2, 22 9:09 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: