Archinect
anchor

Struggling in architecture school. How to deal with lecturers like these ones?

gg6892

I’m studying interior architecture at what is considered a 'prestigious' design school in my country and I am 31 years old, so a bit older than my cohort. Throughout my whole course I’ve maintained a distinction average, except for this one particular class where my lecturer only just passed me for every single submission. For this whole semester, I’ve shown up to every class, put in more than 9 hours of study outside class per week and I feel I really engaged in the content by listening, actively participating in discussions and doing the weekly readings. In all honestry it's not the high grade I'm chasing, I just want to feel like I'm making progress in the course, and obviously if I have grades that indicate that I am lacking certain skills, I want to correct this as I'm sacrificing a lot as an older student pursuing this career.

I’ll admit that the lecturer’s subject was super pretentious and the assignment briefs were always very vague. However, I spent a lot of time clarifying key points with him. I do have an equitable learning plan for my adhd which allows for me to gain further assistance when requested from lecturers, but this didn’t stop me from feeling stupid and annoying. I made time to get feedback from him after each assessment and he always seemed pretty irritable and it was hard to get anything very specific from him other than him saying he would have liked my designs to be “more immersive”. I know if I follow up with him again to gain feedback he will give me a pretty cold and impersonal response reluctantly agreeing to meet up and when we do he will stare at me condescendingly while remaining tight lipped on what I need to do to improve further.

I also have another lecturer for my studio and she is actually super nice. I sent through all my completed studio work over to her a whole week in advance for feedback and she told me it looks good and gave me a very brief list of areas she thinks I should improve. I had a lot of freedom with my design and she encouraged me to make up a physical model out of clay as this would be in line with my concept and to render it from here. Anyway, I did all of this and when crit came along one of the panel members said it was a bad choice going with the clay model and then she went on to agree with him, telling me that my design wasn't textural enough but later in the written feedback she stated that the textural quality was it's strength??

I think I am at a point of realising that a lot of the results you get in architecture school are surrounding the marker you get and I'm feeling super frustrated about it. I'm also concerned as I feel like I'm at a point where their harsh marking is impacting my creativity.

Has anyone had a similar experience at university/college? I don’t mean to whine and I’m aware that I’m being pretty self entitled, but I wonder if others have had the same thing happen to them and how they went about resolving it.

Jun 12, 22 10:57 am
Non Sequitur

you’re in interior design school and design is subjective. Design profs like to make things complicated, either by accident (by being lazy, inconsistent or incompetent) or by intention. Don’t hang your self over a few bad crits. 

Jun 12, 22 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Pass the class and move on.  No need to impress every instructor.  Identify what you want to learn from them, but do not let the grade be the driver of how well you are doing.  There are always instructors that you may not get along well with.  

One thing that will be helpful is to see if you can identify specific traits that make for someone that you may not want to work for or with in the future - use this as a way to interview potential future employers to avoid a similar situation in employment where your income and career may be affected.

Jun 14, 22 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

Nonono o.....Start working and then see that u want to learn more to open ur own business. Then u will get interested. Source - me

Jun 18, 22 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: