Archinect
anchor

No passion. Career advice please

chocolatey

I recently graduated with my bachelor's in Architecture, I didn't graduate with honours but I was very close to it. All in all, academic wise I did very good. But I hate it so much. Everything about the course disinterests me and just brings me instant unhappiness. It was always a joke between my friends and me about how much I just hated everything about architecture.

But I have no idea what I can transition to. Architecture is all I know, but at the same time, I don't want to spend my life in a career that makes me this unhappy. Please I need some career ideas I could transition into.

Jun 3, 22 8:22 pm

What interested you in the beginning?

Jun 3, 22 8:44 pm  · 
1  · 

I mean there must have been something about architecture that made you want to study it.

Jun 3, 22 8:47 pm  · 
2  · 
Stasis

Hmm, you remind me of a friend from college.. she seemed not interested in Architecture and didn't do well in design studios.. When she started working, she became really good and now she is a design director at a large arch firm leading project teams. Perhaps you may find an experience in professional field different from that of academia.   However, I also found many who aren't happy with working as an architect.  I have known others going into Graphic Design/UX, Project Management, or took boot camp courses to become a software engineer.. I bet these transitions aren't easy..   I think you would have try different things to find out what you like.  

Jun 3, 22 11:25 pm  · 
1  · 
hiall

It is important to remember that what schools teachs you about the profession of architecture is not everything. Think of architecture as a building process encompassing business, design, consulting, manufacturing, and even marriage counseling (sometimes, lol.). So ask yourself, have you been exposed to as many aspects of architecture as you thought? You might one-day design furniture, which is also architecture, or work in a company that manufactures / prefab building parts. 

Rather than just building buildings, think of architecture as an ideology. Getting back to our original question, what do you dislike about architecture?

Jul 5, 22 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
ArchKid

I finished my M.Arch with 3.7 GPA. And I’m so bored in my field and pay sucks. 

Jul 12, 22 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
gual

UX, set design, fabrication, project management, programming, consulting... Promptly make whatever money you need to facilitate the transition, then go for it. Gets harder to do the longer you stay in the industry and inertia sets in.

Jul 14, 22 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

Gual above is right. You have so many hard skills that will allow you to transition into just about any job, I have friends who are doing woodworking, tattooing, working in tech, CGI for movies, fashion stuff, digifab, interiors, etc, etc. People outside of architecture don't usually have the ability to synthesize information and turn loose thoughts into actionable ideas. Combine that with good communication and problem-solving and you'll be good to go.

You're super young so just find what you like and see how your training can open some doors. Good luck! 

Jul 17, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: