Archinect
anchor

Canada M.Arch Programs accepted portfolio's request ?

ahjun

Hi All, 

I am architecture student from Hong Kong - and i am planning to apply to Canadian M.Arch, possibly with a chance to migrate there eventually.

I currently would like to complete M.Arch asap (2 year stream) but if that isn't possible than 3 years.

So far, i will be starting to work on portfolio but i would also like to know if anyone is willing to share their portfolios, in which you got admitted to the canadian M.Arch programs. So i can see what type of style you guys or the schools look for?

Thanks and best regards
Jun

Apr 29, 22 12:31 pm
ahjun

Also I noticed, only Carleton has a page restriction while others only file size so for the file size restriction i can have as many pages as possible? 

Apr 29, 22 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

I believe u of t and UBC have page restrictions no?

Apr 29, 22 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Thanks for the reply! I haven't looked into UBC and UofT cause the fees are insane. but maybe..

Apr 29, 22 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
simon1024

Almost all schools have page and size limits. UofT probably accepts the biggest portfolio.

You are from Hong Kong, you will have a better chance getting in UofT. They really favour international students - their new Dean is a lady from Hong Kong, and lots of Asian staff and students too.

Apr 29, 22 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Thanks for the reply! Yes I heard as well lol just the fees are bonkers.

Apr 29, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
ahjun

Ryerson, Waterloo, Laurentian, McGill, Manitoba seems no page limit just file size
and various type of content limitation

Apr 29, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

A few key points... folios are not just put together... they are supposed to be a representation of your creative skills and design skills.  This is not something you can just sit down and piece together by copying examples and most have years' worth of work to curate before picking out a few key pieces.  Focus on the content, not the page limits.

As for schools, there are certainly far better schools than others.  UofT will likely have the lowest entry-bar and is mediocre at best... but it's probably your best chance (3y path).  UBC is similar but better program-wise but you'll have to deal with Vancouver costs. 

The important thing with picking schools is the location.  Last time I checked, Canada is a large place and schools are very specific to their location. (ie. UofT is toronto-urban focus, Dal is maritimes arch, Winnipeg & Laurentian have heavy first nation focus, etc).  So look at the city because you'll be stuck there for a while and the next city could easily be several hours away.  (ie. winnipeg).

Apr 29, 22 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I graduated from a bachelors in Landscape Architecture and on a whim decided last minute to apply for the Architecture School a couple days before the applications were due. I actually put a bunch of reproductions of recent school work and a few drawings I had done in a couple offices as an intern and stuffed them into a red Duotang. Dating myself but talk about low brow, I cringe when I think about it and was totally humbled when other class mates had make had crafted boxes and customized binders etc. Laughable but oh my god based on the cover there is no way I should have been accepted.haha

Apr 29, 22 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
dougy99

Why do you say U of T has the lowest entry bar?

Apr 30, 22 12:14 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

It seems like a lot of the more recognized Canadian architects came from u of t, dal, and McGill. But from what I’ve heard talking to Vancouver-based architects, dal and McGill are kinda starting to fall behind. I’m guessing mainly because they lack the same

Apr 30, 22 12:17 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

Funding that U of T and UBC generally get.

Apr 30, 22 12:17 am  · 
 · 
ahjun

Thanks for reply @non sequitur. I heard your the big gun here! Yes I understand what you said maybe I just wanted a reference of how a portfolio should feel like. I understand some pprtfolios are extremely busy and its not welcomed also some are very minimalistic

Apr 30, 22 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dougy, UofT suffers because of its terrible design undergrad degree that exists solely to feed people into its 3y March. It’s “recognized” because the university is well known, not because of its architecture program. It’s also the largest arch school so it will take the most applicants and pump out the most grads. Some students will be excellent but it’s not because of the school and all my colleagues who choose UofT did so because of convenience, rather than quality of education.

Apr 30, 22 8:33 am  · 
1  · 

tbh most canadian schools will provide you with a good education. There aren't that many of them to begin with and standards are relatively high. Personally I went to U Manitoba (too long ago to say my experience is relevant I know), but it was good enough that I had no problems getting a job in the UK and then Japan, etc etc. My classmates have gone on to found offices that are successful by any measure you want. So even Winnipeg is fine. The downside is that Winnipeg is a pretty specific kinda place. Which is true of all the cities in Canada. Vancouver and Toronto are the most urban, but UBC is in a forest, while UofT and the newly re-named Toronto Metropolitan U (formerly Ryerson) are both downtown. That said, I find life in Toronto rather slow paced compared to Tokyo, so YMMV. To get to your original question, what NS said is totally true. Try to show yourself and your interests based on the work you have done. If you dont have anything to say in your work it is going to be a challenge to work out if you would fit into a program.

Apr 30, 22 11:11 am  · 
1  · 
kenchiku

dougy99 - interesting to hear Dal is losing a bit of its credibility. Years ago I spoke with a few Vancouver architects and they told me Dal and Waterloo put out the best grads, on average.

I just finished my M.Arch at Dal. Really enjoyed it. Co-op is a great bonus that you can only get at Dal and Waterloo afaik.

Apr 30, 22 7:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dal and Loo and still pumping out top grads. McGill too. They did not loose their steam.

Apr 30, 22 8:27 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Cool. Seems my colleagues, myself included, who are wanting to work right away after graduation are having no issues finding jobs.

Apr 30, 22 9:48 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

Oh sweet, congrats! Yeah I mean the architects I talked to where speaking from

Apr 30, 22 10:16 am  · 
 · 
dougy99

Anecdotal experiences so probably not that accurate

Apr 30, 22 10:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: