Archinect
anchor

UC Berkeley undergrad

UncleAl

Hello,

I got in Berkeley for the undergraduate architecture major (BA). However, I could definitely see myself doing other things besides architecture, and have other college options (namely UCLA) where I would choose a different major, and I think overall would be happier for multiple reasons. However, I feel like Cal is hard to pass up — the arch program is ranked as high as #2 in some lists. What I’m wondering specifically about is how this could impact career prospects, as I would definitely prefer being able to design “big projects” as a potential architect. Basically what I’m trying to see is if anyone has insight into how much a BA from Berkeley would give me a leg up, both for M.Arch admissions and beyond in the actual field, with the strength of the program as well has just the recognizable Berkeley name.

Thank you very much,

Alexander

(Sorry if the category isn’t appropriate)

Apr 20, 22 3:13 pm
Non Sequitur

maybe, it depends. How much cash are your parents contributing to tuition and/or donations to the schools and how many of their rich friends will step in as your first “clients” once you graduate? 

Apr 20, 22 5:44 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Don't go hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for an architecture degree. Full stop. 

Apr 20, 22 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hundreds? Three-fiddy tops.

Apr 20, 22 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

350k? Too much.

Apr 20, 22 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe 350k Ruple.

Apr 20, 22 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

isn´t Berkely tuition 15K for California residents? Still expensive but I guess a bargain for USA standards

Apr 21, 22 7:48 am  · 
gjjar

Berkeley's B.A. in Arch is great for eventually applying to M.Arch programs, should you do well. I know it's anecdotal, but all the top M.Arch programs in the US seem to each have at least 1 or 2 Cal undergrads in their programs each year, not sure I see as many from UCLA. I've even heard Ponce de Leon from Princeton loves taking Berkeley undergrads. My friends who went there over other schools also had a much more varied undergrad experience with a wider breadth in different departments outside of architecture. You're also not fully bound to your major or college the first two years, so you could take courses in other areas that interest you and have the freedom to change your major before you declare it junior year (maybe that's UC-wide though?). Does Berkeley also offer the other majors you would consider?

Thinking about if you want to design big projects as a professional architect is a bit too far out in the future, and depends on a lot more than your undergrad degree (as you'll need the professional degree and work experience that will be more relevant anyway), but Berkeley and UCLA won't stand in the way of that.

Apr 21, 22 7:34 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

I graduated from Cal UG more than a decade ago and I truly enjoyed it. As others said here, lot of my buddies went onto Ivy league M.Arch programs.  Btw, Berkeley's CED offers three majors - Arch, Landscape, and Urban Design, which you can decide on your third year.  You also have an option to apply outside of the CED.  There is a Hass Business school nearby :).   Well, it was 15 years ago, so things may be little different You should call CED admin and find out.  

Since you are asking about the career prospects, I can offer few insights.   I have been working in SF Bay Area after graduation.  The field of architecture is cyclical and heavily impacted by economy.  Recessions can possibly threaten your job security.  

With that said, Berkeley grads do pretty well..  Firms seem to like them. I have been hired by Cal grads and have hired Cal grads over the years.  Depending on where you work, you will have chance to work on big projects, though I am not clear how you define a big project.  Is there certain construction cost in mind? winning a design competition? or a project being published somewhere?   My peers from Cal achieved all of the above.  Some people joke about architects don't get their designs built, but I was fortunate to build more than 15 projects over 15 years, from $2mil to $400mil cost. It's been tough and fun. 

As for one to design a big project, I and many others in this forum would agree that almost no one would lead design effort of a big project fresh out of school.  I believe that arch schools teach about 20% and the rest comes from the professional field for one to claim that they know how to design.  Learning that 80% would take years, so the work experience is very important.  You can go for MArch to deepen your understanding in Architecture, or diversify your expertise by going into other majors (landscape, urban design, real estate dev, MBA, etc).  You can also learn at work sharpening your design skills while getting paid.  I noticed having MArch doesn't necessarily get you higher salary or a promotion, but may open up some opportunity to teach.  This is really up to what you want to do with your degree.  Some like to work while some others like to teach. 

If you are passionate about architecture and are willing to grow yourself for next 14 years (including 4 yrs at Cal), then yes, go for it.  Cal would be a great place to build your foundation as an architect and start off great career ahead of you.  

Shoot me a private message if you have questions. 

Apr 21, 22 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: