Archinect
anchor

Career help - job decision

EMC2

I’ve been with a well know mid size architecture firm for the past 8 years. But I have not been as happy working there because of how staffing is handled. My supervisor is for the most part understanding in regards to family matters, but when it comes down to deadlines, and project expectations, it can be exhausting. 

Because of childcare reasons, I’ve remained working remotely even after almost all employees came back. Because of my situation, I was one of the few to not get promoted and for the past 2 years, I’ve gotten a 3% raise. (From talking to coworkers, most got better raises- 8-10%). In addition, I have been assigned a somewhat boring project.

I’ve gotten used to the remote work, but my current job has set a date for me to come back. Out of curiosity, I started talking to recruiters, and found a firm that has a 100% remote opportunity.  However, there are a few cons: pay is about the same, 1 week less of pto, and less holidays 7 instead of 11. In addition, it’s a firm that does mostly retail work. So there would be a lot more responsibility, and deadlines would happen a lot more frequently. 
And I’m guessing the work would be less exciting. On the other hand the pro would be that it’s 100% remote. 

So my question is if I  should stay or move on? 

Apr 17, 22 1:00 pm

Have you factored in daycare?

Apr 17, 22 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
EMC2

daycare would be something I would not be able to avoid in the long run but it would be part time.  And the remote work also saves commuting time and expenses.

Apr 17, 22 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
torr

I work 4 days at home.  I've realized that the ability to work from home 4 days a week is worth 15 to 20k because of flexibility with my kids.  I can now drop-off/pick-up my kids from school and I can also go to all of my kids baseball games which start at 4pm.  This WFH is a game changer in my life.  I will never leave because of this.  The work is not award winning, but it has lot of creative side for me.  Forget about the cons, flexibility with the family is actually priceless.  You only have one chance with the family.  It'll never come back.  Different work situations will always be there. 

Apr 17, 22 8:18 pm  · 
2  · 
EMC2

great insight! I’m optimistic reading it’s working out for you.

The one thing that worries me is that in the contract paper work there is a clause about “ability to work extra hours over 40 hours per week is a requirement of the job to meet business needs. May have to work outside business hours or on weekends as needed”

There can be multiple deadlines I was told… so yes I’ll be working from home, but what if I can’t get away from my computer? Also I’m getting 1 week less of pto. I’ve gone on ‘vacation’ while working can be exhausting.

Apr 17, 22 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
torr

I was at an office where the employment contract req'd me to work 45 hours.  It's just legal B.S.  But in architecture, you will always work over 40 hours.  I average 45 to 50.  It's at home though and that's ok.  If you're seasoned enough, you should know how to manage deadlines.  Just don't go on vacation while working.  That is a huge dumb mistake.  Don't let your office manage your vacations.  They have no right to dictate your personal life.  Just schedule it ahead of time and go on vacation when you need . Use non-pay time for that extra week. If anyone rejected my time off request, I would really say "f off".  No one has every rejected my time off request.

Apr 18, 22 12:10 am  · 
 · 
EMC2

I agree about going on vacation while working is dumb. Unfortunately, I had to do it twice and it sucked. That’s why I do appreciate PTO, because it’s time to fully disconnect. Unfortunately, less pto is a deal breaker. 

I’m very used to deadlines and it’s always been an unspoken rule in architecture. But seeing it written down makes me nervous for some reason. Why can’t this profession stick to the regular schedule? In reality almost all of us get paid less given the hours we have to put in weekly. 

Apr 18, 22 8:40 am  · 
 · 
kjpn

EMC2 and torr, actually, there are offices and project teams where you are not expected to work overtime. In fact, there are arch jobs where, working remotely or hybrid, it is simple to work less than 40 hours if you get your work consistently done in a reasonable timeframe. 

EMC2, it sounds like you are going nowhere in your current job and have little to lose switching over. When you start your new job DO NOT give them 100% of your effort. Just give them 80%. Work fewer hours. Level set their expectations for how much work you can accomplish. Wait a few hours to send that email. When someone asks you 'how long do you need to get this done', tell them a longer timeframe than you actually need. If you are asked to work unpaid overtime, then take out the difference in unofficial comp-time the next week.

Apr 18, 22 11:01 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Steal pens. Poop on the clock. Expense your tp. I kid, I kid.

Apr 18, 22 11:39 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: