Archinect
anchor

HELP WITH DECISION!!! NYIT OR UMICH for urban design? - Job mobility - debt - city life

Logicoverwishfulthinking

Please please please help! I got into NYIT, Umich, UCB and University of Miami! 

No offer includes financial aid. I blame my shitty grades from B.Arch. but I have fair good work experience in both community work and design outside USA. hoping a master's will give me a better edge in my career. 

Please ppl weigh in! which one should I go for? 

Any idea of job mobility for NYIT, U mich? Which one gives a better edge? or UCB? 

Apr 16, 22 11:51 am
Non Sequitur

yes

Apr 16, 22 12:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Urban Scrutinizer

What do you suggest man? I can really use some insights

Apr 16, 22 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Urban Scrutinizer

I am also in the same boat! Torn between GSAPP and NYIT!

Apr 16, 22 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
  1. What do you think?
  2. What is your "big question"?
  3. Where do you want to work?
  4. Why don't you know already? 
  5. How much debt do you want to be responsible for?
  6. Why the ALL CAPS?

Presumably one should be able to answer these questions before applying.

Apr 16, 22 3:40 pm  · 
1  · 
Logicoverwishfulthinking

I did my drill already. I am asking for the suggestion because I am from outside. My priority was UCB given the reputation it has but studying in LA would be too expensive for me. I am willing to take as much debt as I can pay back faster post-graduation. So career prospect plays important role in my decision-making over academic facilities. I am more interested to wo rk and study NY given its ample opportunities and better pay scale. But I can not afford to go to those rich kids' schools, I am paying for myself from my saving and debt. So applied to NYIT. I would appreciate honest feedback on job mobility for this university. Choosing between NYIT and Umich coz these are cost-effective options for me. Umich is overall cost-effective but well the location is not a metropolitan area. I have relatives in NY so can manage my living/personal cost significantly. My question is what chances of job prospects I have as NYIT grad? will it be better than Umich? For grad school does reputation matter in getting a job?

Apr 16, 22 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Logicoverwishfulthinking

Well CAPS got your attention. din it?

Apr 16, 22 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest school then.

Apr 16, 22 6:14 pm  · 
1  · 
Urban Scrutinizer

Hello logic, which one are you selecting? Let me know if it is NYIT. I am giving NYIT  a thought since $$$ coming 1/3 of gsapp. 

Apr 16, 22 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Logicoverwishfulthinking

Well I am trying to get an overview from the point of both location and reputation

Apr 16, 22 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
vi_d

As far as reputation is concerned: UCB and/or UMich. Definitely GSAPP over NYIT (not apples to apples at all).

Apr 18, 22 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Meatball2000

MArch from UMich, tons of people in NYC and other major cities. Winter sucks pretty badly if you hate snow and don't like driving. AA is a good town, it's not relatively the cheapest small town (but it's definitely better than California or NYC). The rent is still way cheaper than in a big city. City-wise, it's definitely not a big city, but I still enjoyed it.

In terms of the UD program, they were smaller when I was there, but maybe it's growing??  Ask for the student's works if they offer to show you? Or find their website / Instagram to check that?It's always a good assessment to see what you will work on and get a feel for that.

Not super familiar with NYIT..so sorry, hope my input helps :)

Apr 18, 22 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: